Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford hub caps don't fit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RICH B, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Thought the inside bump IHC truck wheels were supposed to work with early Ford caps; but didn't have much luck getting original '41 caps to fit.

Could have sworn a cap fit while I was fooling around with trim rings; but not now.

Kinda got carried away sanding the wheel bumps and lip on the cap and managed get one on; but shouldn't be that hard. Maybe repop caps are "looser", maybe try one tomorrow.

Anyone had any experience with this?
    caps.jpg

2. Any ideas, today?

3. Rich: You mentioned repop caps maybe being looser. The cheap version (likely chinese) are for sure a looser fit. I lost one of them and went back and bent the ring to fit the wheel better. The Ford licensed repop is much better. That's my experience.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    Alliance Vendor
    from Nebraska

I used IHC wheels on the rear of a 33 Ford coupe back in the 70's. First time out I was walking the ditches of my local country road where I found both unharmed. I reworked the edge with a vise grip where they popped over the nubs and never had any trouble after. Seems like I bent the areas out a bit so they fit real tight.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Squablow

Squablow

I recently sold a '53 IH pickup and since I was lacking 2 hubcaps I used a '40 standard cap and a '40 Deluxe cap I had laying around to fill in the missing set. Mine were really difficult to get on, the caps were too tight, I had to bend 4 flat spots into the lip of each cap to get it to snap on the wheel. It worked, but not a perfect fit.

I've also heard that the fit of different years of 40-48 Ford caps on even stock Ford wheels varies quite a bit, and also the fit of the originals vs repop caps. Some are loose enough you can spin them once they're popped on, some are so tight it's near impossible to get one off without ruining the paint on a wheel. I think it's a bit of luck of the draw.

lothiandon1940 likes this.