Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford guys..hot starting problem!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Aug 26, 2010.

1. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

well guys i think ive figured itout!!!! I built my own gas tank for this truck to replace the old one behind the seat. i still put the new one behind the seat. but didnt vent it:confused: oops. this has to be the problem because the tank builds so much presure in this 105 degree weather were having it has no place to go but straight ot the carb and flooding the shit out of it. plus no baffles in my tank...its like a skakin up a hot beer! it also explains why it starts so good in the morning, it sets in my shop overnight in about 30 degree cooler temp. this has to be it make perfect sense. anyway i made new vent and im gonna try it out. was thinking about a vented cap but never had good luck with them.

2. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

changing it today

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Whew!

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I hope you are right. What I don't understand is that if the fuel system is that tight, I'd think it would pull a vacuum and starve for fuel before it got hot. Let us know what fixes the problem.

5. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

well tommy your right! damnit i suck at diagnosing engine problems:mad::confused:.maybe im flooding and the fuel is boiling at the same time! im frickin lost!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  6. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

You're chasing too many tails.

Excess gas is getting past your carburetor.

This can be caused by:

a. too much fuel pressure.

b. a faulty needle & seat or float adjustment.

Period.

7. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Problem finally solved this time!!!!!:D Well i bought a phenolic heat spacer and it did the trick! man those things work wonders. I ran the truck about 10 miles to get it good and hot and drove it back home ,let it set for about 20 minutes.bam! she busted right off.carb was very cool to touch after running it! before i installed the spacer you would burn your hand if you touch it. Once angain thanks for all the tips guys,greatly appreciated!!!!!:cool:;)maybe i wasnt smelling gas in my oil.that might have been in my head:eek:. i changed it anyway.

8. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Try using a carb spacer . I have had some friends tell me they have the same problem and just used a spacer . Seems like the fuel is vaporizing from the heat after it is at running temps and is turned off for a short while . Also do you have a all metal fuel line or rubber ? The metal lines get hot and causes the so called 10% Ethanol to evaporated and break down . If you have a metal line wrap with a rubber line or a header wrap to keep cooler .
    **I guess I should have read the second page before making my post !**

Retro Jim

9. DKcoupe

DKcoupe

I had that same problem when I first got my car on the road. It was a real pain when I stopped to fuel up or something like that. I talked to an Edlebrock rep about it and he said the combination of aluminum manifold and aluminum carb was causing the fuel to boil inside the carb as the heat rose up when parked. He suggested a Mr Gasket style carb spacer which has layers of gaskets and metal plates in it. I now have 85 k on my car 19 years later and have never had a problem since.

10. B21A

B21A
    from Canada

so not fuel.carb,checked starter. try remove thermostat,same trip, maybe little better at work after 10 mins sitting- water pump,rad plugged, auto-tranny filter does the red juice flow with a crank over-have big bottle ready don't do hot 2litre pop plastic will work, aftermarket trailer towing tranny cooler kit-under $ 100. carb rules unless you got cash. when cold always runs dreamy even for hours or idle in traffic too-turn off less than 5 maybe start so try these. also an oil cooler kit is available(im in canada so extreme heat not problem but same issues).

11. Muttley

Muttley

Uhh.............what?

12. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Try changing the coil, sometimes heat can make a bad coil not work at all, and since you don't even get a sputter, I am not thinking vapor lock or gas anything, might have a bad ignition module (or whatever the Petronix uses).

I am thinking an ignition problem brought on by the "heat soak" when you turn off the truck.

Even if all of the fuel was boiling out of the carb, your fuel pump would fill it in short order with at least SOME gas.

I would bet cash 5 to 1 your issue is ignition.

>>Edit, after reading page 2, I might be wrong..... :D >>

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  13. Matt
    You did good. You listened to what folks had to say. You took what you knew and applied it to what you had listened to and fixed the problem.
    Good on ya!!

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad its fixed but I had a similar issue with my 38 coupe. It ran a 351C and toploader. One of the big issues was heat sink in the starter. The extractors ran over mine pretty tight and held heat in there.
    I had to change my starter and tats where it all started, the newer (Read dodgey) starter didn't like the heat at all and just wouldn't crank quite enough. Bought a re-built older starter and shielded it and thats when I discovered the fuel issues were, well, an issue.

Doc.