Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford generator wiring question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by olskool34, Feb 11, 2020.

1. olskool34

olskool34

Is there a way to take a generator that was designed to work in conjunction with a voltage regulator be changed to run with a cutout? I have this generator that has the front mount I need to run hub mounted fan. 0A813446-BE05-461B-BD75-F6140D834F97.jpeg This is for my early period A-V8 and I am trying to retain the stock A wiring harness. 6V pos ground.

2. alchemy

alchemy

The front mounts can be switched. Might take a little fiddling with spacers on the bearing to make things perfect. I have a '60 armature, '60 case, '40 front mount, and a weird truck pulley to mount the fan on it.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mount the cutout, rig it to look like it is hooked up, hide the regulator and it will take a real snoopy bastard to figure out what you did.

olskool34 likes this.
  4. Jeff34

Jeff34

Do you want to keep the voltage regulator or could you just swap to a gennie with a cutout? I run a gennie with a cutout and hub mounted fan. Stupid rad hose did a photo bomb in this pic. IMG_0340.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. olskool34

olskool34

I cannot run the fan off the generator. This is in a model A and the fan sits ways to high. I have an A, a ‘35, and a later generator. The later generator that has the front mount I need is a bigger diameter than the earlier ones so mount will not swap.

6. They make a pulley for the generator shown in post #1 that has a fan mount. The '37 and up manifolds will mount the generator lower (see photo). If you try to modify the generator in post #1 to run with a cut out how are you going to adjust the 3rd brush that controls the charging rate?

Charlie Stephens IMG_9585.jpeg

7. olskool34

olskool34

You are right. I am just having a hard time with the gen/fan setup in my A-V8 because I am building it with a time frame in mind. I am not using anything newer than 1936 and in ‘36 they had a cutout. Wondering how to just use the stock genny I have and build some king of custom mount for the fan.