Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Galaxie guys, a little help please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommyd, Feb 6, 2014.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

My brother has called me twice tonight saying he can't get the rear wheel cylinders off his 61. Whats the deal? He says it has a large nut and a ring with tabs holding it on? I can't help him tonight so I'm giving advice on something I haven't seen. Thanks in advance.

2. DeepRoots

DeepRoots

It's like any other Ford brake drum.
    Two small bolts hold it in. Two arms are jammed between the shoes.
    The stud above it has two springs and the lil centering clip, but that shouldn't be attached to a wheel cylinder.
    here is mine:
    [​IMG]

3. rustynutz

rustynutz

I have not had mine apart yet, but I looked in my 1962 shop manual and it shows the front cylinder as having the large nut. States "On the rear wheel, remove the brake cylinder retaining bolts and lock washers and remove the cylinder. On the front wheel, remove the nut and washer that retains the cylinder to the anchor pin. Remove the cylinder from the anchor pin"
    From your description, it sounds like the washer has tabs that bend over the nut to keep it from backing off. Hope this helps, it's all I got.

4. John Lafayette

John Lafayette

My '57 has two 1/4" bolts holding it to the backing plate. I think he is looking at the anchor bolt which does not need to be removed.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Typical Bendix brake. The 2 bolts go into the cylinder from the back. (1/4" STD)

6. big M

big M

The front wheel cylinders do, indeed, have a loop that goes around the main anchor, You will need a breaker bar or impact gun to remove the lock nut, then remove the locking ring, and then the main anchor nut. This will release the front wheel cylinder.

The rear wheel cylinders are the conventional type with two small bolts on the reverse of the backing plate.

Here is a photo of a front, on one of my junkers.

---John

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      125.7 KB
      Views:
  7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Thanks guys. I found a picture of one last night and they are a weird looking animal. He said he even had a breaker bar with a jack handle and it wouldn't budge. I'll swing by there tonight with a torch and give him a hand. Always better to ask someone in the know.

8. Yes. The same as on my '64 Galaxie. I just looked up a '61 Ford wheel cylinder on Rock Auto and the picture shows the 2 mounting bolts.

Bob

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I must have heard my brother wrong. Thought he said "rear" and it was really the front ones. They DO have the big 1-1/16 nut. Thanks for the help fellas.