Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ford flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29willys, Jul 11, 2013.

1. 29willys

29willys

I am rebuilding a 1949 239 ford flathead and the tube that runs in the middle of the engine by the lifters (distruibtion tube) needs to be replaced.Has anybody ever done a replacement, how do you replace and where do I get the tube. thanks

2. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Try the Fordbarn.

3. tig master

tig master
    from up north

They aren't designed to be removed what's wrong with yours?That isn't a lifter tube they are lubed by splash only.That is how the oil gets to the cam and crank brgs.

T

4. 29willys

29willys

its pretty rusted I dont know if I can trust it

5. tig master

tig master
    from up north

You should be all rite as many 1000's have been rebuilt without attempting to remove the tube.

T

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It is pretty heavy-walled...I have HEARD OF, never seen or experienced, people replacing them by threading in a slidehammer and pounding away. Replacement would have to come from another '49-53 block. I doubt the 1/8 pipe threads would do the job, probably would need to tap the ID of tube farther in...
    Testing it would require some improv...front is 1/8 pipe, rear and down-holes at cam bearings would have to be tapped and plugged, bolt with washers and gaskets through pushrod hole in case you have the one with tiny lube hole in bushing...then grease fitting in the front and pump up some pressure with a grease gun! It should be easy to far exceed normal oil pressure numbers this way.
    I would probably skip all this foolishness (and the risk of cracking the block during R&R) and just hot tank, then attack pits with a pick to see what's what. I betcha it's good for another 60 or 70 years as is.
    You know you're in trouble if your oil system is rusting out!!

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Maybe you can just clean it up with a rifle bore brush.

8. That's what I was thinking. What the heck does the rest of the block look like?

9. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Send a picture for analysis.

T

10. jetmek

jetmek

ive seen em rusted thru before...mouse piss is nasty stuff. if theres pinholes in top just try zapping with a mig if it leaks where you cant reach id say your sunk....