Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ford flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 54hotrodder, Jan 20, 2012.

1. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

alright guys i just got a 2x2 intake for my flat head what type of linkage do i need to use i have new 94s on it and
    and what about the generator belt do i need to get a bigger one or use the stock one

2. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

depends on which 2X2 intake you bought. there are a lot of them out there....pictures would help

3. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

how do u post pictures

4. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

5. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

ok thanks and what about the linkage what did u use

6. nsh57

nsh57

There are a few options: progressive and straight linkages are the main two. Progressive linkage will run only one carb until you kick the throttle down (similar to a new 4 barrel with mechanical secondaries). The straight linkage just links them both together equally, and they will open at the same time, and at the same rate.
    I run a straight setup with 94 carbs on a 2x2 on my 251ci flatty, and it works great for the street, BUT the carbs must be jetted and tuned correctly.

To answer your question about the generator... The intake in the pic has the carbs set back to allow the generator to sit in the stock location, so the belt should be the same as stock.

[​IMG]

7. i run non-progressive linkage, both carbs are primary carbs.
    i run 48 jets and 4.5 power valves in 94s on a healthy 8ba.
    i dialed it in about three years ago, have'nt had to touch it since.

8. nsh57

nsh57

By the way, I'm running #49 jets with 3.5 power valves in my carbs.

9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I built this flathead for my buddy's '48. We used a Speedway 3 carb progrssive linkage and cut it down for 2 carbs. It is still progressive, and works great. Acts like a modern 4 barrel with mechanical secondaries.
    [​IMG]

10. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

11. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

I have a v8-60 that I would like to put a 2-2 manofold on, but looking for one that has carbs set back far enough for mounting a small alternator in front. Any one know of such a manifold? Thanks, Marvin.

12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Im running progressive on my flatty. I just running an Isky max 1 cam and offy regular duel with 94s. I had to much carb running both at the same time.

13. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

You didn't mention which flathead you have, and I may be reading in information that ain't correct. With that said, if you have a '49-'53 Ford flathead then you also have a Suck-O-Matic distributor. You will quickly learn that many carburation issues are ignition problems. If this is the case just PM GMC Bubba, he will do you right.

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

go to www.vintagespeed.com and have a look at the linkages. I've set up "straight" linkage and progressive linkage and had them both work out well. It's your choice.

With your kind of manifold, you should be able to fit 2 carbs, but the 94s have less room to work with than the Stromberg 97s.