Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Flathead V8 Water Pump Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luis.garza, Jun 18, 2009.

1. luis.garza

luis.garza

Ok, I need some help deciding whether to get new water pumps from Dennis Carpenter ($150/pr - EAB-8501-PR) or Speedway water pumps ($89.99 ea 91015595)... can anyone tell me which ones are better? I'm running a stock engine w/3 on the tree. I do plan on installing an underdash A/C in a few months, so will need the colling system running at peak efficiency, especially since I live in sub-tropical South Texas :D. Thanks for the help.
    [​IMG]

2. chopperbilly

chopperbilly

i'd call Patricks antique cars in AZ. very helpful and great service. almost anything flathead. (502)836-1117

3. skip henery in florada can rebild them.

4. mj40's

mj40's

Dennis Carpenter has a good reputation and seems to be the cheaper way to go. Check their warranty policies. About the only thing that will go wrong with pumps are the seals or a bearing. When you get down to it, they are probably built buy the same supplier. Good luck!

5. jetmek

jetmek

never had a problem with speedy bill pumps( lose the rubber gaskets they come with) unlike most of the rest of the crap they sell. dont care for rebuild pumps

6. luis.garza

luis.garza

Thanks for the info... I'm seriously thinking of getting them from Dennis Carpenter, but just wanted other people's opinions first.

7. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Skip Haney's pumps have a patented turbine style impeller.
    These work better than any others.

8. Hi,

I talked to the Dennis Carpenter guys at Ford Carlisle. Both Dennis and Bob Drake are offering the newly designed pumps that have all of the old problems solved with the new design. Right now, they are only $130.00 for the pair...great deal. I'm getting a pair to put on my 48 Flatty. Take a look at their recent ads..they have a photo description on the new design.

Murph

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

10. i run speed way pumps on my flathead with no problems at all

11. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

and of course I had to go check! $72 each rebuilt for truck pumps.....

that is if you go to the store and they can get them for ya....

12. luis.garza

luis.garza

Thanks for the suggestion for NAPA... hadn't thought about them!

13. luis.garza

luis.garza

I just now checked the Dennis Carpernter site and the pumps are $150/pr plus I couldn't find any new info... I also couldn't find anything on Bob Drake's site :( could you please send me a link to where you found them? Thanks.

14. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I have used 2 pairs of the Speedway pumps with NO problems. They are ball bearing like the late model pumps and the others are not to my knowledge. Do not use the rubber gaskets that come with the Speedway pumps though, use the paper style.

15. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

don't the speedway pumps have a screwy mounting hole that requires an allen bolt??

16. 49 Custom

49 Custom

I got a pair of rebuilts from Freyer's Early Ford Water Pumps. (626) 335-7501. I remember that they were inexpensive and looked like they had just been cast. No wobble in the shafts, either!

17. ??? used oe bolts on mine

18. TV

TV

I've got speedway pumps in all my flatheads, and couldn't be better off. They are all the new design, from carpenter, Drake or Patricks. so take your choise as to who you like, and buy them they work great. Or Napa.--TV

19. TV

TV

You are o so right, Freyer's pumps, the early head type are the tits.--TV

20. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Add another "all my flatheads" comment regarding Speedway pumps...got four engines. Aluminum radiators, Weiand or other alum. heads, Speedy pumps, none overheat. Checked temps with FAA certified sensors. No experience with the others, but pretty sure they are all as efficient....uh, NAPA included? I dunno 'bout that.

21. chickenwire

chickenwire
    from New Jersey

I've also used the pumps from Speedway with no problems at all

22. Luis...Carpenter had the pumps at Ford Carlisle. The next day I went to the NSRA Nats in York, Pa. Thats where I saw the Bob Drake info...same pumps..same $$ @ $130.00. You might try a search engine for Bob Drakes site out west. Sorry I can't be more help.

Murph

23. I had two pairs of Lincoln V12 water pump rebuilt by Skip Haney out of Florida the best. Here is Skip phone # ( 941 ) 637 6698 or ( 941 ) 505 9085

Thanks
    Frenchy

24. luis.garza

luis.garza

This is why I love the HAMB so much: friendly (and knowledgeable) people with lots of great advice! Thanks for all the info, I have some serious thinking to do now.

Luis

25. tjtcr4

tjtcr4

I run speedway water pumps and pressed truck double pulleys on them.
    Check them out.

Attached Files:

26. luis.garza

luis.garza

That looks like an awesome setup! :D

27. luis.garza

luis.garza

Where'd you get the double pulleys? Thanks again!

Luis

28. ChicagoSlackers1

ChicagoSlackers1

I went with speedway pumps and had no problems changed them both in an hour or so and they seem to pump way better know. I didnt get a funky allen bolt that I could remember. But if I did it was no big deal at all. Speedway is the way to go

29. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Does he do V8 60 pumps?

30. luis.garza

luis.garza

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009