Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford Flathead V/S the Chevy stovebolt 6 stories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tickety Boo, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

I hear that the Ford v-8 ruled up to the late 40s, long time ago I worked with a old machinest and stock car racer that said he did well running the Chevy 6.
    A lot of speed parts and modifications were made by the owners, not much was available or affordable for the regular working weekend racer.
    Speedy Bill and other speed parts houses were just starting up :)
    One of his speed modifications was that they would shave up to a 1/8 off the Chevy 6 head to raise the compression. Then he would machine spacers to raise the valvetrain 1/8 so pushrod length would remain correct.

Must have been fun times for racers thinking out of the box.

Norb

stillrunners and AVater like this.
  2. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

I saw Chevys with Hi-Lift rocker arms, split exhaust and dual and triple carbs that would slay the flatheads of the day. Thin copper head gaskets were also cheap and popular.

AVater, Tickety Boo and olscrounger like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Track Roadster Racing was pretty much dominated by Flatheads until Wayne Horning produced 12 port-cross flow heads for the GMC and Chevy engines. This car, built by the Spalding Bros, with a Wayne Chevy, Hilborn Injection, and ahead of it's time suspension, changed all of that. Spalding flip-up cowl.jpg Spalding at Phoenix.jpg