Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Flathead truck engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jefscoupe, Mar 29, 2013.

1. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

Good or stay away? Same as car flatty?
    There's one local to me for 300 bucks. Complete with carb, generator and tranny.
    Came out of a 40s era school bus. Possible 4 speed tranny?
    [​IMG]
    I haven't gone to look yet, so I don't know it it's stuck or not.
    I want to know if it's even worth going to look at.
    I know flathead differences have probably been hashed out over and over so if someone can supply a link, I would appreciate it.
    Tried the search and got a bazillion hits...
    I just don't have a year to go over all the posts here.
    Thanks.

2. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Engine is the same except for the water pumps and how they mount to the frame. The trans is geared lower than a cars trans.

3. that is a 49-53 8BA series motor

fair to good motor. The distributor design is a problem, need different aftermarket distributor. The motor has a desirable bell housing on it, they are used to adapt to a T-5 transmission with the use of an adapter plate.

300 is a fair price if it not stuck. Less would be better. There is a good chance the block is cracked. Some cracks can be fixed, other not. I am batting about 40% success rate with finding good buildable cores. Be Prepared to invest a whole bunch of $$ to get it rebuilt.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  4. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Way too much for a nasty core that's been rollin' around outside in the dirt for ages with absolutely no guarantee that the block isn't cracked. In addition, that thing was removed and essentially discarded from the vehicle for SOME reason. All of those bolt-on parts are a dime a dozen. Most folks go thru five to ten of those to find one "GOOD" block. DD

5. I see some remains of green paint on the heads. The is a slight chance it might be a Mercury motor. only one sure fire way to determine, pull heads and measure the stroke.

6. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

Thanks for the quick replies.
    He did say it was a Merc engine in the ad. I was skeptical with it coming out of a bus.
    Sounds as if y'all are saying: It's OK if the block ain't cracked.
    I guess I could get it with the condition that if it is cracked it's worthless.
    Of course that means I'd have to bring it home and tear it down.
    He did tell me it's been outside for a couple years (a couple or ten?:rolleyes:) covered up.
    I think the motor was saved and the bus discarded.
    Will a Tremec TKO fit it too?

I know it'll be expensive to get it like I want it. But I really want to put a flathead back in this old hotrod.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  7. If, IF it truley is a Merc, The crank is worth 150.00 core all day long.
    Yes a TKO will fit but way overkill for the most part. S-10 T-5 and Flathead motor seem to be made for each other, WC T-5 is great if you plan on beating the hell out of it, TKO is just plain wasted $$$.

8. 5CHERO8

5CHERO8

If it is a 1949-53 Mercury engine and the heads are original, the heads should have xCM on them. The x is a single digit number. The C indicted that it has the 4" stroke C crank. The M is for Mercury.

9. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

I already have a TKO is why I ask.
    I suppose I could put that in my 55.
    Thanks for the indicator signs on the heads. Something to look for.
    X is a number? Like 5CM or something?

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's hard to tell by the angle of the photo, but the rib on the water pump, looks like a Merc. If it is (even if it is stuck), the crank, as a core is worth $250. Remember it is all a gamble.

11. 5CHERO8

5CHERO8

Yes, the x is a number. The 1949 Mercury was 9CM, the 1950 was 0CM, but I don't know what number was on the heads between 1950 and 1953.

12. 5CHERO8

5CHERO8

Yes, the x is a number. The 1949 Mercury was 9CM, the 1950 was 0CM, but I don't know what number was on the heads between 1950 and 1953.

13. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

I notice the water outlets are at the front of the heads in the first pic.
    Any relevance to that?

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The carb is a Ford, not a Mercury. Even if the heads say "XCM", things have been changed around enough that you can't be sure without pulling it apart. Back in the days, one of my buddies "upgraded" his Ford by putting a set of Mercury heads on it. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

15. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

Who would bother to "upgrade" a school bus? Probably a school district mechanic putting whatever he has to keep the bus running.
    But, point well taken.

16. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

That's a $100 gamble, TOPS, in the condition and circumstances you see it in. You can always write that $100 off toward experience in disassembly and familiarization with your first flathead. DD

17. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

Here's a few more shots. I had to go close to where the engine was anyway, so I stopped and looked at it.
    [​IMG]

Looks like EAC.??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Did you get to see if it would turn?

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Those heads make the odds better that it does indeed have a 4" crank, but you are still taking a damn big gamble at 300. I would pass. (but then I already have a small stockpile built)

20. Lazy Jake

Lazy Jake

Offer $100, and hope not to insult. Pictures (especially water pumps) indicate it could be a Merc. As DD said, it's worth $100 just for the experiance in flathead forensics. A lot of worthless stuff there but, the block could be good and, the crank may have value. It's a start.

21. Lazy Jake

Lazy Jake

...AND, it has a transmission!

22. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Now, with the big "MAYBE" factor on the crank, I'd pop a hundred on it. Unbolt that boat-anchor trans and leave it there. That WILL NOT be a quick seller at $300, if ever. DD

23. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

I did not see if it would turn. I'd already left before I thought of it, plus it was raining.
    I've seen some built flatheads on ebay for around 5 grand.:eek: With the finned heads, ported, cammed, with three carbs. Might be a better deal than I think.
    But they're way far off from me.
    This engine is in the guy's back yard. The huge tree limb that was used to pick it off the trailer has fallen off. So I don't even know how I'd get it up in my truck.
    I could take my cherry picker, I guess. If it doesn't sink in the ground with the weight.

In essence, this engine is worth tops maybe a couple hundred just in parts?
    If the crank is worth 150, the bellhousing is worth something and the oil filter is worth a bit, heads a few bucks.
    That is if I could sell them. I'm not much on selling.
    I couldn't sell water to a dying man in the desert...:rolleyes:

24. bobscogin

bobscogin

This isn't proof positive because intakes can be changed, but didn't all '49 up Mercs use a 4 stud carb mounting pattern? That's a possible clue. I used one of those manifolds on my '42 Merc 239. Carb mounting pattern is the same as a small base Rochester 2G.

Bob

25. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

EAC is a 52-53 Mercury engine

26. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Interesting to see the belts still in place, notice the bell adaptor is steel. HEADS or TAILS ? or deal with owner as is it a good one or not ?Tricky, I'm not a gambler, but it's only money :eek::eek::eek::D

27. Id take the chance at $200. it being in the open enviorment, most likely it is siezed. The block is a question mark. The crank $150-250, Hogshead (bellhousing) $50-100, Oil pan $50-100, starter $25, Waterpump cores $15/each, generator $25, flywheel $50 it can add up. all listed are core prices

Intake, carb, distributor, exhaust manifolds, transmission are all scrap weight. The block is a 50/50 on scrap weight.

If you get it at $200, your not gonna loose money. I can guarantee you will loose some sweat, skin and blood trying to find out what is salvagable.

Happy hunting.

28. 5CHERO8

5CHERO8

Yes, now I remember, Mercuries had EAC heads in the early 50s. The C indicates a 4" stroke crank.

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

After seeing the latest pics, it has a Ford oil pan.

30. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

OK, let's go this route.
    Say I got it for free. What would I spend for a performance rebuild?
    Aluminum heads, 3 pot intake and carbs, cam, ignition, ported and relieved, maybe it needs bored so new pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets etc.
    A low to high "ballpark" estimate.