Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford flathead part help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grinderspark, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

An old guy I work with is rebuilding a flathead for his 49 shoebox.
    He went with new heads, a c-4 trans, and switched to an alternator that uses the smaller pulleys. He is looking for the spacer that fits behind the pulley so he can line everything up. He's had no luck finding it.

I don't have the first clue when it comes to ford flatheads, so I told him I'd ask around on here to see if anyone had an idea on where to locate one.

He's already tried Flathead Jacks and most of the bigger vendors.
    Please PM me with the details.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Are you looking for a spacer to go behind the alternator pulley? Is it possible to space the alternator forward on the mount ? ...........

Ray

3. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

He's looking for the spacer that goes on the crank between the pulley and the harmonic balancer.

4. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Flatheads do not have a harmonic balancer. Post a pic, so we know what your budy needs.

5. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Type of waterpumps/ crank pulley also make difference. I can't believe he can't find an alternator bracket to fit his needs with so many suppliers out there. Pic would really help.BTW what does the term "old guy" have to do with anthing? Damn snot nosed punks! :) signed old guy

6. weathrmn

weathrmn

I had to make one. It was 1/4" and then the step that kept the washer from caving in when tighten. I don't remember all the dimensions, but just make one, I couldn't find one.

7. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

I'm over 50 myself!! The 'old guy' is 73 and works part time at our shop.

I don't have any pics of his motor, and I've never seen it in person . I'm only going by what he told me. From what I gather, his motor is a mish mosh of parts that he's bought the last couple of years.

I'm the first to admit that I don't know squat about ford flatheads. They were a motor you 'old guys' used to run from what I recall.....:<)

8. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

I'm 23 years old. 4 out of 5 of my old cars are flathead powered. The fifth one is my work/snow plow truck ;):D

9. 49 Custom

49 Custom

I think Hnstray has the simplest solution: use spacers on the bolts mounting the alternator if the alternator needs to be moved forward or grind the mounting tabs on the alternator/mount if it needs to be moved backwards. If you move the pulley on the crank forward the water pump pulleys may become misaligned.

10. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Most of the differences in the late flathead V8 depend on the type of water pumps you have. The early types and trucks were wide belt type. Later cars and pickups had dual narrow belts. Truck stuff is still pretty easy to get for 48 to end flatheads but you'll have to have the truck pumps, crank pulley, fan, etc for it all to work together. Adding an alternator to the mix usually involved changing it to the wide belt or changing everything else to narrow belt. Bad thing is that most narrow belt set ups were offset from side to side since they did away with the single crank to fan & both side water pump to gen belt set up in favor of a one side drives a pump & the fan and one side drives a pump & the gen. So, you can see the problem there.

It sound like he is taking the easiest and most practical approach. I imagine Bruce Lancaster is busy with his book or he might be of assistance there but a spacer would require a lathe and a knowledgable machinist to make one. At least that's what I would do.

Kerby

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010