Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Flathead oil leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RetroJeff, Apr 30, 2014.

1. RetroJeff

RetroJeff

I just put a rebuilt 59A motor in my 29 and it was leaking oil from the vent tube. The rest of the pan was nice and dry.
    After pulling the pan and replacing the pan gasket and cork gasket by the rear main, it is dry up front by the vent but oil is now coming out of the weep hole in the back. It leaves a large puddle.
    I went in again and changed the pan gasket and the cork gasket in the back and put a little RTV in the corners buy the rear main. And it is still leaking badly from the weep hole when stopped, I am lost and frustrated.
    Can someone help me out with any suggestions?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

anyone ever dealt with a leaking flathead?

3. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Curious....what exactly did you mean by the "vent tube"? A 59A type flathead normally vent its crankcase in thru the breather (fuel pump stand) at the back of the manifold, and out via the little triangular vent located at the front of the oil pan.

Also, where is this "weep hole" you refer to?

Was the rear seal retainer in good condition when installed in the back of the block?

4. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

If the weep hole is the cotter pin hole in the cover for the clutch, your problem is the rear seal.

Neal

5. 36tbird

36tbird

Is the engine vented? You might post a pic of your intake manifold and if you kept the breather in the rear of it or capped it off if you put on an electric fuel pump. Sounds like it is trying to blow out the oily gases when it warms up.