Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Flathead flywheel ID ? The one re-drilled with 3 bolts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 GAZ, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Just found these in the back of the garage today with 20 years of dust and surface rust :oops:. The one on the left has been re-drilled from big truck clutch to smaller car sized clutch but how about the three bolts circled in RED. ? Anyone know what that would be for ? Also the outer starter ring-gear is 3/16th wider ( total diameter is 3/8th more ) than the normal V8 flywheel on the right side of the photo. Left side ring-gear has 144 teeth and right side has normal 112 teeth. Why 144 teeth ?
    flywheel 1.JPG flywheel 2.JPG flywheel 3.JPG

dudley32 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Industrial application?

Hnstray and 34 GAZ like this.
  3. If I recall, the six cylinder used a slightly bigger flywheel than the v8? Also may have had a direct drive setup. Marine maybe?

Hnstray and 34 GAZ like this.
  4. Both V8 flywheels are the same dimension. @Mart gave an answer in his "re-drilling a flywheel " thread that the slightly larger 144 teeth ring-gear is for the British FordV8 flathead that uses a Lucas starter. I guess the three large bolts would be for a direct drive off the flywheel then.

5. Coupler for a dirt track in and out box. They didn't use no clutch.

leon bee and 34 GAZ like this.
  6. Here it is after one week in the tub of cleaning vinager . Not one scratch :) on the clutch friction surface ( unused ). Ever so slight marks where the three bolt holes had something mounted. So besides the slight wear on the ring-gear its 100% as good as new.
    flywheel 4.JPG

Hnstray and Boden like this.
  7. Found another real nice one, also with the three bolt holes close to the centre . This was in my other garage :rolleyes::oops:. Anyhow look at the pic, missing one tooth on the ring gear. What should i do ? Can a tooth be made by building up a weld ?
    tooth..JPG tooth.JPG

8. Change the ring gear. Welding on One tooth won't work. Take a good one off the Flywheel your not going to use and install it on the one you want to.

34 GAZ likes this.
  9. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Yes, a welded tooth will work fine. Take a stick of 10016D2 welding rod and wire brush the flux off of it. Glass bead the area to be welded. Preheat the area to 200 degrees. Then TIG weld up the broken tooth. Let cool under a blanket. Grind the weld to the profile of the other teeth. Done.

34 GAZ and Hnstray like this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't believe they ever had a clutch disc on them. I believe they were on a pump or wind machine with an in-and-out box type device attached to a spline bolted on the the flywheel instead of the crank flange. They needed the flywheel for weight and to start what ever it was..

34 GAZ likes this.
  11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 4speed truck trans in a '40 1 1/2 ton Ford truck I used to own came from a wind machine here in SoCal. The trans was bolted to a 59ab. Locked in high gear with the shifter removed and the tower hole plugged. The clutch disc looked brand new. A buddy used the flathead for his AV8. Used the clutch and pressure plate as is. His son has it now, still running strong.

34 GAZ likes this.