Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Flathead crab cap style Pertronix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groovybaby6, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Has anyone tried the new Pertronix kit for the '42 to '48 crab cap style flathead distributor?

If so, how does it run??

2. i haven't used one with the crab style distributor but have on later model Flathead s and they work great. HRP

3. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

Groovybaby,

Yes, I have one. My coupe fired right up and hasn't missed a beat since I installed it. Best of all, I was able to retain my mechanical fan.

Two thumbs up!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013

4. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Are you running a ballast resistor?

5. there has got be to be some more users out there as we have sold over 100 of these units since they came out a few months a go......

6. Ok this makes me think that he's talking about a NEW set-up.....I'll check it out.

7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Guys i have used quite a few of these new 1285LS units and worked with the pertronixs guys as they came out.
    I used to use the LS sensor ( pertronixs) and index and machine my own unit from a used plate etc.
    This new kit is perfect and saves me a whole lot of work. Seems to work like a champ.
    With that said there are some major pre-cautions that must be looked at.

The plate as supplied by pertronixs is perfect in every way however it wont fix a dirty or sticking 11A advance unit. The distributor must be cleaned and the advance weights must be removed and lubed ( the shaft especially).
    The outer bushing is lubed with a factory worm installed inside a hollow shaft and needs cleaning etc.
    The side bar timing slot should be set at zero and the vacuum brake must be cleaned and adjusted.
    Theres just more to it than just installing a plate and running the engine.....

We do a total rebuild, set up and ship as a kit for $ 300...
    Comes with a coil , cap and rotor ready to run with pertronixs indexed and installed..........:)

8. Bubba set one up for my avatar - I had the original Ignitor in the first one, and now the Ignitor II unit in my present one. Ran like a clock this past Sat on a 500 mile round-trip run to the Heavy Rebel show in Winston-Salem, NC ...

9. I wish I had seen Bubba's post BEFORE I purchased my kit. I would have rather had it done by someone who KNOWS what the heck they are doing. I was really expecting more replies this thread.

10. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

You can send us your parts and we install....and set up on machine.......$68 plus shipping and parts....

11. That is a deal.