Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Flathead buying tips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msalamanca, Jul 27, 2011.

1. msalamanca

msalamanca

When looking for a good flathead for a passenger, what are some good tips to look for?
    Thanks in advance.

2. moefuzz

moefuzz

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Pull the heads, look for cracks..... and they can be overbored a huge amount if needed/wanted

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Always check the pan rails carefully down low where the oil pan bolts up. I've seen several that cracked down there between the pan bolt hole and the crack often continues up the inside of the block. You can't see the problem until the pan is removed. Usually at the machine shop long after the sale.

5. msalamanca

msalamanca

Well I will be looking at a few, the year are 49-51.

6. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

You wanting to build one or buy a takeout? Try to get a guarantee from the seller if you are buying a builder. You won't know what you have till it goes to the machine shop. Expect to pay more for a guarantee otherwise take your chances. They are all good just depends on what you want for power, cost, and appearance.

7. msalamanca

msalamanca

51 Shoebox.

8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Try to find something rebuilt or close to it. They're cheaper to buy than build.

9. tig master

tig master
    from up north

You will have no troubles finding an 8ba. Good parts availability and interchangability.
    8ba's are not as prone to the deadly cracks unless they have been frozen most other cracks are repairable.

T.

10. msalamanca

msalamanca

So I am proud owner of a flathead V8

11. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

A flathead man told me if the block was a race or hotrod motor, or if you think it may have been, look closely at the center main bearing web area for cracks. High RPM and stroker cranks sometimes proved too much for them.