Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Flathead 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RAF, Oct 20, 2009.

1. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

My 51 Ford F-1 pickup has a very tired flathead 6 226 cu.in. and I have a chance to pickup a good flathead 6 cyl. from a 50 Ford car cheap. Will this work? What do I have to change? I plan on using the truck tranny. Any differences between car and truck 6 cylinder motors? Any help appreciated.

2. The only difference is the exhaust manifold. Truck outlet is in line with cylinder #2. Car outlet is in line with #4. I used parts of each and made a neat split manifold. I'm not sure about the bellhousings but if you use your truck bellhousing and trans you should be OK. I'm pretty sure everything else is the same or interchangeable.

3. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Thanks for the information, would love to see a picture of that split manifold.

4. I have a photograph of it someplace that I can try to scan. If I can't find it, I will try to take a pic this weekend. It is hard to see a lot of detail with it in the car but it may be OK.