Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford flatehead six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by archied1067, Jul 21, 2008.

1. archied1067

archied1067

ok here we go i have a question as usual, and i know some one out there can help or point me in the right direction. i got this six cylinder out of a 1950 ford and i have been having a hard time just getting a gasket kit for it. so if any one out there know where i can go that would help so much.but now comes the second part of my problem is that we measured the engine for cubic inches and our math came up with 276 cu in. it looks like its ben bored over .30 thousands of an inch. but the closest i can find is 272 cu in but its a y block. can any one help me figure out this mess. also looking for freeze plugs mine look like they leaked. what sould i do to plug the holes and is it hard to remove them? ps is there two different six cyliner engines that look the same?i post some pics of what i got.

2. archied1067

archied1067

come on some body........

3. FrankCowan

FrankCowan

if head says 7HA6050 could be a 226. if it is parts from joblot and a few others. there has also recently been some speed parts in the classified section. good luck

4. archied1067

archied1067

you think our math if just wrong ?

5. My brother picked up a 46 Ford Flathead 6 for my welder, it came out of an F-600. He said that it eas a 256 cu.in., I haven't seen it yet to get any nos. off of it. I will try to get more info on it. :eek:

OLD HEMI

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

bore X bore X .7854 X stroke times number of cylinders. In your case 6

7. archied1067

archied1067

8. go to the library and look at a repair manual that will tell you the size. is it car or truck?

9. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

Good luck finding speed parts that are affordable.

Try EGGE Obsolete Engine Parts, or C&G Ford Parts. Mac's, Dennis Carpenter, Kanter... They are out there for gasket kits, pistons, rods, arms, everything you need most likely. I wanna see the overall build of it.

10. akreone

akreone
    from SLC 801

I can't say much about what it means in terms of parts if its bored over but if it came out of '50 then it is a 226 ci. All of the places that HotRodRick mentioned should all have gasket kits etc. Stock parts are not hard to find but as mentioned any speed parts are rare and quite pricey. I've seen a handful of dual intake manifolds, one finned aluminum head but couldn't justify the $2000 price tag. Good luck with it and post some pics.

11. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

I have read that the 226 had a 3.3" bore and a 4.4" stroke. The 254 had a 3.5" bore and 4.4" stroke. Look for the casting number on the drivers side near the oil pan. If it starts with 8M its the 256, if it is 7H it is the 226 block. Don't use the head casting as it is common to use the 7H head on the 8M block to increase compression. Is it possible that someone stroked a 254?

12. I will be the voice of dissent. That engine is a boat anchor. Unless you just want to get it running stock, there are so many better choices it is not worth spending any serious time or money on that engine, regardless of what the actual size is.

13. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

They say the bigger engine came only in the BIG F-6 trucks (1 ton and bigger), not the 1/2 ton pick ups.

found this forum link for all ford inline 6 fans, from flat head 6 to the 300 ci OHV,,,

http://fordsix.com/forum/

14. I bought a complete overhaul kit for my '51 226 from Kanter Auto parts. It was all old stock stuff, no new Taiwan import junk. In response to 38CHEVY454, my boat anchor with a cam, head, dual exhaust and 2 carbs in a '51 two door runs just fine with the V8's. And its a lot more fun to see the look on peoples faces when they are expecting to see a V8 flattie, or a belly button SBC under the hood.

Some speed equipment is out there, a little pricey, but available.

15. If you look at the specs on these motors they are usually 5 hp and 5 ftlb less than the v-8 models. they have better fuel delivery and exhaust along with better overall fuel milage. Down fall is the availibility of speed gear and lower RPM than the V8 brother.

16. Frank02L

Frank02L
    from Searcy, AR

Are the transmissions the same behind the 226FH6 and the 59A?

17. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

It depends. The early truck 226 I6 (referred to as the "G") used a different 3spd toploader transmission case than the 59A. In '48 they started to put the 226 "H" in the trucks and backed it with the 59A toploader trans. I haven't seen a truck with a "G" motor, but I have an "H" in my garage, the "H" used a 1/2 bell adapter to the 59A trans. I assume the "G" has the same thing because I have heard of guys bolting the "H" motor to the "G" trans, but the "G" trans will not bolt to the 59A.

So depending on the year of the FH6 and whether or not parts got swapped, the answer could be yes or no. I don't know anything about possible differences in the sideshift car trans through those years.

Don't throw away a "G" 3spd trans, I have read that they do have the same gears inside as the V8 trans.

18. archied1067

archied1067

19. archied1067

archied1067

bttt any pics of a done up flate head six

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  20. Frank02L

Frank02L
    from Searcy, AR

Well the FH6 I have is from a '47 Tudor. The trans was sold 20 or so years ago for $25.

21. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Frank, your 6 is likely a "G" motor. Look for casting numbers on the head and the drivers side of the block. I would assume that one of the first couple of characters will be a "G". Since you have the motor, what will really matter then is what you want to do with it. You should be able to put something together to make it work.

22. Frank02L

Frank02L
    from Searcy, AR

Thanks. I figure I'll use it for some project (some day) but not sure what.

23. archied1067

archied1067

24. archied1067

archied1067

just got the gasket set for the engine from best gasket company .the head gasket looks to be made of grafite. hopefuuly the works.was thinking of just replacing the the head gasket but im just going for it and replace every single one that came in the box. any body think thats a bad idea or that im making to much work for myself?