Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford fe 390.Holley or edelbrock carb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikhett, Jan 9, 2007.

1. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Ok all you carb experts,Im ready to start up my rebuilt 390 9.5 hypereuitectic pistons crane 901 hyd cam(RV mild street) FPA long tube headers,cj heads,mostly a cruiser no drag racing .Which carb would better fit the build.Ive got a 4100 autolite i rebuilt last year and put it on the ol 390 but she was worn out (needed rings) so theres no telling if the autolite is ok.What are the pros & cons of the edelbrock and holley.This is an auto tranny car.Thanks Mike

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hard to beat the Edelbrock for bolt-on and go performance. Especially for milder motors.
    Ask 10 people, get 10 different answers, but the AFB's are inexpensive, work well straight from the box, easy to tune, and look good.

3. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Yep, what he said:D

4. cheddar

cheddar
    from missouri

hell no holley all the way. got a 750 vac 2nd on my 390, purrs like a kitten easy to adjust and will snap your head back

5. I prefer the Edelbrock carbs, won't use anything else. Great for tuning and adjusting.

6. Believe it or not I have a 390 cfm Holley 4 bbl carb on my 390 FE and it works pretty damn good. When I replace it I am thinking Edelbrock to get away from power valve BS and go to the adjustability options. I honestly don't think it makes much of a difference on a street engine. You aren't looking to shave tenths off at the track.

7. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Get a Holley 750 Double pumper , they are easy to work on, makes good power and its looks 1000 times better than any other 4BBL carb.

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

It's what you get used to - that's why folks are so divided on the issue.

Objectively, I know both carbs are good carbs. Emotionally & subjectively, I hate the Edelbrocks because I find tuning them to be a pain in the ass & expensive. I've got one on my Stude right now that's surging - if it were a Holley, I'd have it cured by now. I hate Edelbrocks because I don't know them well. I love Holleys because I know them well.

Another advantage the Holley has is tune-ability - with the Edelbrock, you're limited to needles & jets available. The Holley has nearly unlimited jets.

Besides, Ford originally put Holleys on their cars, so stay Ford Blue & Ford True - use the Holley!! ;)

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

REREAD his build-up......mild cruiser with an AT......
    750 DPs are great carbs....but not for his application IMO.
    Both Holleys and the AFBs/AVS's are good carbs, I like 'em both......Edelbrocks are just less 'finiky' over the long haul.......

10. cheddar

cheddar
    from missouri

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Disagree. Holleys are simpler, you can get parts at 7-11 or Wal-Mart, & there's not much to go wrong with 'em.

Edelbrocks are good carbs, but tuning is more difficult, hard to tune inbetween Edelbrock's combos, & parts are expensive (special order at most parts shops).

Then again, I've already admitted I like Holleys 'cause I'm comfortable with them... ;)

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I've run both on my cars, and as far as performance is concerned, not too much to choose for street use. All my cars have Edelbrocks or AFBs now, though. Regardless of how well they worked, eventually the Holleys end up leaking.

As was noted before, your results may vary.

13. FEDER

FEDER

HOLLEY or HOLLEYS one or more. I have 58000 miles on a Holley Avenger now with zero - nada - trouble at all. I have had good luck with them usin one two or three on a 390. For youre application I would get a 660 Avenger carb. They have vacume secondarys and an electric choke.Also they have the little ball valve in the baseplate to prevent powervalve damage. You will get LOTS of trouble free miles from it just use a good filter.I also believe a Holley gets better gas milage and will make more power if jetted right.
    FEDER

14. cheddar

cheddar
    from missouri

holley all the way............i told ya i told ya

15. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

What vFlat Ernie said about Holleys.

16. What are the pros & cons of the edelbrock and holley.This is an auto tranny car.Thanks Mike[/quote]

The Edlebrock carbs only want 5 psi of fuel pressure. over that and the needle will not seat (flooding all the time). This was my experience. May be different now, but worth checking into.
    Holleys can handle 7 psi at the needle and seat. Just be sure to check this and get a fuel pressure regulator and set it to 5 psi for that edelbrock carb. Either carb should work great - Holleys have earned a rep for being high maintenance... good luck.

thought for the day: Start rich - lean burns things up...

17. Troublemaker427

Troublemaker427

A Holley 750 Vac. 3310 will work great. I run one on my '64 Galaxie with a mild 390. They've been around forever and work great. I like Ebok heads and intake, not cool with their carbs!!!!

18. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

You cant beat the looks, throttle response, and practicality of the classic holley D.P.

19. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

I know your not talking only about power but the one thing you cant argue is that all the serious motors these days have holley (based) carbs on them.you will never see a pro stocker or nascar style of engine running carter,edelbrock,if they are there notmakin the field.
    In your situation,flip a coin and you probalbly wont be able to tell the difference...IMO
    FED

20. Troublemaker427

Troublemaker427

Hey Mr. Twister, check out the name on the white Comet. It is my father's car. He started running that name on his race cars in 1961. The first one was a '61 Starliner.:D

Attached Files:

21. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

:confused: WTF??? Are you guys not reading the FIRST post???
    I'd venture to bet that there are just as many (if not more) AFB's as Holleys on STREET DRIVEN, everyday, cars, trucks , 4x4's etc.........
    You will also never see a Nascar or Prostocker IDLING along side you in stop n' go traffic.........in the rain.....
    a DP Practical???? hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Absolutely. The "problem" with Holleys is they are less forgiving of incorrect applications. For the right application, DPs are a perfect match. Most folks are over-carbed & over-cammed - a vacuum secondary carb (like the Edelbrock/Carter/Weber) is much more forgiving of such screwups. So a 650 Edelbrock on a 283 will probably be more user-friendly than a 650 DP is...so ignorant people blame the carb instead of the meat-servo that installed it.

A mild street-driven 390 Ford will be very happy with a 600-650 vacuum secondary carb. If it's a stick car with a mild cam, I'd do the double-pumper in 650.

23. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

You just proved my point..........an AFB is a better carb for the average guy to BOLT-ON his car and drive it. Alot of so-called "car guys" have a hard time adusting valves, let alone tuning a carb correctly.......I'd say most of us here at the HAMB are NOT average........

Oh and on the DP deal.....what's one cost compared to an AFB??? At least a $100 or more....new.....and gas mileage WILL suffer, 'cause if you have a DP on your car, your probably 'hot roddin' around in it and not driving it EVERYDAY. I guess your idea of PRACTICAL is different than mine............

I'm done with this..............

24. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

You should take your own advice and read before you open your hole....I stated in the opening line,(I know your not talking only about power)....I'm done with this....

25. Agreed.

I have a LOT of FE's and always run into AT and throttle linkage problems with the Edelbrocks, Holleys are easier to hook up. I personally like the 4100 as it is a very simple, well designed carb and kits for them are only $15 not to mention all your linkage is stock, no mods needed. If you like gas all over your intake, get a Holley...and stock up on Trick kits. If you like performance, the holley is better, but you have to tune the darn thing all the time. Edelbrocks are nice and seem to get better mileage than the Holley.
    My vote is stick with the 4100....but if you have to get something else, If you want easy to install and don't mind spending time turning get a Holley, if you want a great all around carb that will give you little trouble get an Edelbrock. Oh yeah, don't waste your $$ on a used carb. either get a good remaned one from a reputable remanufacturer or buy new. $300 on a new one is 10 hours of saved time rebuilding and trying to tune a worn out swap meet carb.

26. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

Thats cool my dad raced a 67 GTX named Mister Twister back in the day so i named my car the same. When i brought it home from being lettered; he loved it.