Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Fairlane thread, anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blades, Jan 14, 2010.

1. luvzccr

luvzccr

i own a fairlane, so ill chime in on this thread as well :)

this was my 58 the day i got it, i was 16, right after a car show with my dad, 6 years ago, had a 223 with a 3 on the tree.

[​IMG]

fast foward..
    clutch went out in it, the 223 also went bad.
    got a 292 and a rebuilt fordomatic tranny.
    y block completley went out on me, the cam broke and a piston did too..
    took that out, put another 223 in it from a truck, but couldnt get motor mount brackets to get it into the fairlane, so i sold that.
    wound up finding a guy with a 460 and a c6, got it for cheap!

so this is where it sits today....

[​IMG]

im currently having tiny little issues of getting this motor to fit, hoping someone out there who has done this swap in a 57 or 58 can chime in and help out.

2. S.F.

S.F.

here was mine...I called her "The UnFair-lane" owned it from 04-07. I Put a Y block in it with 3 dueces....

Attached Files:

3. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

blades, thank you! I have actually made progress in the last few weeks.

I've been playing with an idea for my rims/hubcaps.

I am thinking white steelies with '59 Ford dog dish caps and black wall tires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found a semi-flat white spray paint at the auto parts store that really matches the white sprayed on the caps by FoMoCo originally.

the bubble/bullet centers of the cap mimic the ones so many of us are putting in the middle of steel rims, using as dash knobs, license plates bolts etc at the present. I like the contrast of the flat white rims against my Fairlane's well worn red(ish) paint. I've thought about a trim ring too but I think it might make the wheel look a bit busy and take away from the "less = more" look I'm going for.

sorry for the crappy cell pics.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  4. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

BTT, for the sake of keeping it alive

5. havi

havi

well, I can bore ya with my latest pic:
    [​IMG]

6. olskoolcool

olskoolcool
    from colorado

great cars guys,
    here is my 62. bought it two days ago and this is the progression so far. tomorrow rear glass and wheels, next 302 and t5. very fun little car.

Attached Files:

7. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

So many awesome cars,I'm seriously tempted to buy this 67 here in town and gasser the thing out!! Keep the pics comin..........

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

i own my avatar. Had it almost 20 yrs now. It's a rainy saturday morning in indy so I'm gonna see if I can figure out how to scan and post pics on here.....out!

9. Here is my 55 with a 272 and a cruise o matic. She still needs tons of love, but is getting closer every month. Still needs wiring, paint, AC, misc repairs, and a radiator that does not seep coolant.

Attached Files:

10. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

Hope your pics work out, Tom, looking foward to seeing more of your car!

11. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Holy cow! That's exactly my car! Hell yea! Rock that more door! SLEEPER!!!!!
    Look at the before and after of mines. All I need after tomorrow is some metal repair and paint.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  12. MP&C

MP&C

Scott, nifty car lift you have there...

13. FlatheadJake

FlatheadJake

I don't have a Ford Fairlane' but I have a 1926 Ford T-Coupe. It's piece by piece in my dad barn along with his projects.FHJ

14. 2935ford

2935ford

Here's my first new car. 66 Fairlane 500 289(200hp), auto, ps, pb and a heater.
    I believe the color was called emberglow.
    Bought it from Coberly Ford in L.A. in February. Drove it home with the e brake on! Duh!
    A few years later, Cragar SS up front and cromies out back.
    The later yet a new siver paint job as the original paint just fell off the car and a full set of SS wheels and added front XL bucket seats.
    Had it 11 years and 110,000 miles of faithful service. Sold it after it sat on the street for months. Fellow who bought it put a new alt in it and drove away! Wonder where it is today?

Attached Files:

15. caseyajones

caseyajones

That 56 is the best I have ever seen also. I was looking for a 56 when I settled for a 57---but I am pleased with how it turned out--Rod

Attached Files:

16. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Ok, this is weird. My buddy stops by the old trailer lot today and starts talking about a crappy little fairlane that his daughters boyfriend had been storing at his lot and how he was wanting to sell it. I went up and looked right at a rusty, crappy little 289 automatic 67 fairlane today..hmmmmm.... gasser project???

17. olskoolcool

olskoolcool
    from colorado

yeah seems as though we are on the same track. the question I] have is whats the ideal width and offset for the meatiest rear tires. what have you guys been able to stuff in stock wheel houses?
    i do have a new set of 255 60 15 and 195 60 14. thinking id like to use them on this one. feedback?

18. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Good question. I just have 14's in the back on 14x6 cragars and I gotta tell you that even that seems tight to me.
    Anybody else know? :confused:

19. B9

B9

A 1965 that my wife found for sale on the side of the road. Picked it up over the weekend.
    Not sure what to do with it other than drive it for the summer until we feel out what it wants to be. It is 98% rust free, straight 6, alleged 29,000 miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Here are a couple pics of my 56. It is a survivor...original paint, interior, 89k original miles, etc., etc. I have only had it a few months and bought it from the original family after it had been passed between brothers and then on to a son. It is a 292, automatic with power steering and brakes. I just need to get it lowered and then it is done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

if you dont know what to do w/ that you can always drop it in my drive way, i would no what to do w/ it alright :D
    J/K, Nice score, drop it and drive it for now, they make great mild customs.

Now, to the Fairlane experst:
    From what year to what year was the fairlane a midsize car?
    62 to 65? 65 like midway from mid size to full size?

22. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

57 - Mine

Attached Files:

23. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

That 65 looks pretty cherry. Put a nice SBF in her and have some fun

24. Here's our daily driver..'59 Fairlane that we cleaned up and worked on a little...

Attached Files:

25. B9

B9

I am sure that is what will happen but the 6 runs like a champ for now.

26. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

That baby looks like it was loved by everyone that drove it. I'm liking it a lot. Maybe some super light pin striping?

27. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

gotta love the fairlanes!

28. Thanks for the comments. It has definitely been taken care well its whole life. I have considered some pinstriping, but haven't committed to it yet. I will probably just start out with lowering it.

Here is a thread I wrote with more information back when I brought it home.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551669

29. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

ok, i'll try again:
    from what year to what year was the Fairlane a midsize car?

30. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I gotta say I think the stance is just fine right now...