Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford F1 Tire Size Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockfish, Jul 10, 2009.

1. rockfish

rockfish

Just picked up a set of 15" steelies for my '51 F1. Fonts are 15 x 6 and the rears are 15 x 8. This is going to be my daily driver for much of the year so I'm going to be running radials and need some size recommendations for the tires. I want a decent height sidewall to avoid the rubberband look. Thanks.

2. Ole don

Ole don

How heavy is the engine? What kind of driving, city streets or Interstate? 195 60 R 15 in front and 235 70 R15 is back is a good place to start. You may want one size smaller in front and 255 in the rear. Junk yard wheels and knobby snows on the back and a M/S tire in front with a active tread pattern for winter use is also a good idea in your climate, along with a half load of concrete blocks during the winter.

3. rockfish

rockfish

Thanks for the input. To answer you questions, the truck will be parked from December through March, so snow is not a concern. Front suspension is Jaguar IFS. Leaf springs in the rear with the rearend mounted on top of the springs. Engine is a big block Chevy. Also, the truck will see mainly local streets with some time on the highway. Overall the roads are in pretty decent shape in the area.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  4. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am running 195/60's on a 6 inch rim and 255/70's on an 8 inch rim. I wanted a taller tire in the front but ran into rubbing issues. I drive this truck a lot and this combo has worked good so far. Good luck....I would be interested in seeing the Jag set up.

[​IMG]

5. 205-75's on front & 235-75's on rear works well, good sidewall size.

6. Ole don

Ole don

With that heavy a motor, I would go with a 195 or a 205 in front. Check the side wall for load rating.

7. rockfish

rockfish

Thanks for the feedback guys. Great looking truck LOFOMOCO. How did you lower the rear? I'll post some pics when I install the front end. It's as close to a bolt in as there is. I'll post pics whe I install it in the next month or two.

8. i found some stock 16x5 wheels for mine panel, running lt215/85r16 bf commercial ta (stock suspension).

Attached Files:

9. Same as Rusty1 on mine