Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford f 250 runs for 5 minutes then stalls, sits for 5 minutes then runs for 5 minutes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roosterslucky, May 27, 2014.

1. roosterslucky

roosterslucky
    from florida

Here we go. 1954 y block 239 v8. new cap,wires,plugs,valves adjusted, fuel filter, secondary fuel pump in and lots of new wiring. I get in starts up perfect, head on down the road runs like a top for 2-3 minutes and then coming to a stop or letting off the gas it is like someone turns off the key. I sit for 5 or 8 minutes and bang starts rite up for another 2-3 minutes to get me back in the drive way. I know tank is dirty as i have some clear inline filters that I have changed. I will be swapping out the tank if i can only get it to the mechanic. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a similar problem on a '55 Buick. There was a lot of fine rust particles in the gas tank and I could change filters all day long, but the problem never went away until I removed the tank, cleaned it and sealed it.

3. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

Check to see if the carb has an internal filter. If it does, chances are it needs to be replaced.

4. If the engine is fully warmed up when this happens I would suspect vapor lock.

5. roosterslucky

roosterslucky
    from florida

Gents thanks and ill look at everything.

6. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

That is typical of a clogged filter and the clear glass filters plug up fast. As suggested check for an internal filter then run a fuel line from a clean fuel container without a filter until the tank and lines are cleaned. That should get you to the mechanic anyway.

7. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

also, make sure the tank is vented. Wrong cap or crap in the vent and it will run until it cant. then after a few minutes will run some more.

8. fordpatina

fordpatina

if starts after that might be a bad coil or balast resistor

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  9. I had a problem like that and it drove me nuts. Finally found a broken wire on the breaker plate in the distributor that would pull apart inside the insulation when the vacuum advance moved the plate.

10. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

My first thought was bad coil

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  11. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

12. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

You might consider removing the tank yourself and taking it somewhere to get it cleaned and sloshed.
    Not sure you need a mechanic to do it.

13. My thought is coil heating up causing the problem. You can figure out easy if fuel problem, just see if the carb has gas in it when it quits. Look down the carb and give throttle, does it squirt fuel from the accelerator pump?

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I don't believe in throwing parts at it in hopes of stumbling onto the problem. I'd do some tests to determine if it is electrical or fuel related. when it dies and won't start spray some starting fluid into the carb if it starts, you know it is fuel related and can narrow your search. If it doesn't start check the electrics to see if you have spark. It will be a lot easier to fix if you know what area to look in.

grumpy32 likes this.
  15. roosterslucky

roosterslucky
    from florida

Buddy has a new tank for me. Ill pull the old one this weekend and slap the new one in. It has to be done regardless at some point. how will i be able to tell if the cap is vented or even the correct one for that truck? sorry if this is amateur hour, but first pjt and giving it hell, making lots of headway, just want to drive more than two dam minutes. I filled the tank and truck was running great all over, now that the tank is low in fuel i think i am picking up all the S*&t in the bottom. Make sense? thank you all for he suggestions. If it is going to the electrical, what about a failing igniter it looked pretty rough when i was in the cap last time?

16. rulamar

rulamar
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We had a dodge that did the same thing. Turned out to be a cracked coil. I have a complete 239 on a stand if you need any parts. Send me your address I'll mail you the coil. 6 or 12 volt?

17. roosterslucky

roosterslucky
    from florida

gents thanks! took an ole jerry can ran a line to the fuel pimp. bang of down the road.... Dam tank had more S8It in it that you could shake a stick at. got buddies tank and working on getting that in. Can i just loosen the back L mounting brackets and straps and slip the tank out? or do i need to do surgery and take the whole dam thank out before putting the new one it. Nuts are popping like jiffy pop. thanks

18. Rob68

Rob68

This was my problem on my 58 F100. A new vented cap seems to have solved it-still in the test driving stage though.

19. Rob68

Rob68

I dont know if this will actually work, but I took a strong speaker magnet and stuck it to the outside of my tank (I cleaned it up inside but didn't have the money to seal it) in hopes it might catch any rusty crud before it gets to the fuel pick up. Anyone else done this?