Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford explorer rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NewGuyOldFord, Nov 2, 2018.

1. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Ok guys, I have a question. If doing an explorer rear swap why can't you remove the rear, cut off the brackets but noting the orientation or plane the leaf spring perches were on, shorten the left side tube and then re-weld the perches back on 43 inches pin to pin on the same plane they were cut off. I used 43 inches due to that being common ford spacing in the 60's. Seeing how the explorer is a leaf under the axle configuration wouldn't that be pretty darn close to keeping the stock pinion angle? I've done one in my dad's comet and it's a pain to put in the rear with loose perches, tack them when everything is measured, remove again to final weld and then reinstall. Just was wondering if my thinking is right or not? Most of the time I'm working myself so doing this outside the car would be easier and then only under it for final install. THANKS FOR READING THIS. ALL CRITICISM IS WELCOME IF THIS IS JUST STUPID THINKING. BART.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

The best way would to be to measure the angle you have at the tailshaft of your transmission with your car at ride height. (if the tailshaft is 3* down then set the pinion to 3* up, etc.) Then set the pinion angle on the rear end to match. That way no matter what the original pinion angle was on the rear, it fits with your vehicle. I've used about 20 8.8 rear ends (Explorer, Mustang, Ranger depending on the length I needed for the project) and have done them all that way. Never had a problem.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, yoke added by the shop that did the job. Spring perches at 43" for a '56 Ford. Extra crap ground off the center housing too. image.jpeg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two things come to mind. You are assuming that the original pinion angle would be correct for the new installation and that the spring contact area has the same leaf angle. Since a few degrees can make a difference, I would put it in adjust and tack. You must have a buddy that would help for a few beers. Do it right.

Hnstray likes this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^^^This!

You 'could' do it with very careful measuring without first trial fitting, but the opportunity for error is substantial, imo.

6. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Thanks guys. I was just throwing the idea out there to help others including myself. I will do it the way I did it in my dad's comet(measure, tack, remove, weld and reinstall). Since this is a popular swap I was just wondering if my earlier scenario was feasible to help others out without the whole in out in out deal.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have the rear axle that you are replacing out it isn't that hard to figure out the pinion angle on it and then transfer that to the axle you are installing. One of my buddies showed me that about 45 years ago. It's probably easier now as I think we used a bubble level to get the angle. We didn't have magnetic angle finder or many other tools that are common now to work with.

Hnstray likes this.