Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford engines with good gas mileage, what are you guys getting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Well, I've been on the hamb for 3 or 4 months..swore I'd never bring up my drivetrain plans, as I've already encountered a ration of shit from some yougin's about my interior..but here goes. After two years of looking for a low mileage 93-96 Mark viii, I bought one last month that was rear ended..only 52K miles on it. cost after broker and auction fees was $1430. I'll be running the full electronics with the efi. The engine management system to allow a novice wiring guy to actually install it will run about 1K from Ron Francis. That factory 4.6DOHC with the 4r70w tranny in the 4920 lb Mark viii did 183 mph in the Bonneville 5 mile run, and will still get ya in the mid 20's for fuel consumption. My 57 Custom 2dr sedan weighs in at around 3400 lbs. I'm planning on 355 rears so I can do cross country trips without breaking the bank or tearing the engine up. You want something pre 1997 (when they added the pats system) to keep the already complicated wiring to a minimum, and not have to have the computer reprogramed.
    Physical size is the biggest problem with the dohc..it is about 8" wider than a big block 460, although I believe it is 2-3 inches shorter. I agree with what was said about changing it to a carburated version..you will lose all of the efficiency and dependability these "new" modular motors have proven themselves to be. And aside from the real traditional hot rodders..this engine imho has an incredible "wow" factor..it sure fills up an engine bay.
    OK..let the shit storm begin...where's my helmet??

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. husker

husker

It sounds like I should seriously consider scrapping the six and going with the 302 setup.

3. husker

husker

Kicking around the 4.6 idea as well. I am beyond my big cam big horsepower days and simply want to cruise.

4. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Fuel economy is hard to get, HARD!! It's easy to hog out the jets in that leaky old Holley and watch the fuel shoot in like a fire hose!! Trying to restrict the flow and yes so many other factors come into play also; distributor, tire pressure, alignment, r.p.m., trans, the list goes on and on! I am of the opinion that the late model electronic f. i. cars DO NOT deliver as good as mileage as a decent carburetored vehicle!! All things being equal! Case in point; in 1980 a friend bought a new Crown Vic; 351 VV carb and the AOD transmission. First year for the AOD, car was pretty heavily optioned. They would travel to Washington state about once a year to see relatives. From Kansas to Washington, lot of miles! Ralph was so proud of that car; with two people and sometimes three and all their luggage he got almost 25 miles per gallon, highway!! I would love to have checked it with just one person!! 26,27?? Ralph was a farmer, those guys REALLY care about fuel consumption!! A newer C.V. is NOT as efficient; when you factor in smaller engine, 281 vs. 351, aerodynamics, the '80 may not have been a brick, but I know that the '92 up car cuts the wind better!! I have owned two C.V.s, '93 and a '96, with just ME in the car, the best mileage was only about 23.5! The list goes on and on!! Would I use a V.V. carb? No, that setup had rudimentary electronic feedback, but still a carburetor! My next "shop-truck" will be a '61 F-100. 223 and a 3 speed O.D., 3.89 screw. Much higher than 3.89 and you can't get rolling from a stop. I'm going to experiment with different carburetors, open the exhaust a little, go to a centrifugal distributor, I have set a realistic goal of 21 on the highway. I think it will do better after it's all sorted out, and these trucks are less aerodynamic than the later ones! Read what Charles Lindbergh did to really get some good "mileage",some of those things directly apply to a land vehicle, some don't!!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Pretty much, that Crown Vic I talked about was only doing, SWAG, about 18 to 1900 at 60 to 65 or so. But you can go too far on the low rpm side, then the engine is having to work harder and your mileage goes down. A realistic cruising rpm at 60-65 would be around 2000 to 2200, right where your torque is good. Like I say read what Lindbergh did, fascinating!

6. lilbdfrd

lilbdfrd

Re: Ford engines with good gas mileage, what are you guys getting?
    Well, I've been on the hamb for 3 or 4 months..swore I'd never bring up my drivetrain plans, as I've already encountered a ration of shit from some yougin's about my interior..but here goes. After two years of looking for a low mileage 93-96 Mark viii, I bought one last month that was rear ended..only 52K miles on it. cost after broker and auction fees was $1430. I'll be running the full electronics with the efi. The engine management system to allow a novice wiring guy to actually install it will run about 1K from Ron Francis. That factory 4.6DOHC with the 4r70w tranny in the 4920 lb Mark viii did 183 mph in the Bonneville 5 mile run, and will still get ya in the mid 20's for fuel consumption. My 57 Custom 2dr sedan weighs in at around 3400 lbs. I'm planning on 355 rears so I can do cross country trips without breaking the bank or tearing the engine up. You want something pre 1997 (when they added the pats system) to keep the already complicated wiring to a minimum, and not have to have the computer reprogramed.
    Physical size is the biggest problem with the dohc..it is about 8" wider than a big block 460, although I believe it is 2-3 inches shorter. I agree with what was said about changing it to a carburated version..you will lose all of the efficiency and dependability these "new" modular motors have proven themselves to be. And aside from the real traditional hot rodders..this engine imho has an incredible "wow" factor..it sure fills up an engine bay.
    OK..let the shit storm begin...where's my helmet??
    Last edited by Texas57; 02-24-2013 at 11:41 PM.

THE 4.6L IS THE SAME WIDTH AS A 460 I got both in my stands.

7. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

Mark viii 4.6, 4r70w and 3.00 gears put my 55 ford customline at 25-6 mpgs. That's at about 70-75 mph on premium fuel. All electronics are stock from ford. Shooting for closer to 30 with tune and gears

8. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

289, built to stock HiPo specs, Autolite 4100 1.08 and a T5 tranny - 23 mpg on the highway
    (if you keep your foot out of it)

9. 351W edelbrock Performer spec'd cam, intake carb, C4 and 3.00 gears. 18-19 mpg @ freeway speed.

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I'd say the single most important factor is having an overdrive of some sort, be it standard or automatic. What with the 3+1 that was available in the late '70s/early '80s Ford trucks and the AOD, there's no reason that you can't have the benefits of both a healthy rear end ratio and a low cruising rpm on the highway.