Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford engine to Chevy tranny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iceberg460, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Hey guys,
    I got a ford 460 that i want to bolt to a GM Sag 4 speed but i don't have the bellhousing yet. anybody know if the tranny bolt pattern is the same or where i can get those specs? I don't have the cash to drop $400 for a bellhousing from lakewood. And what about the clutch and pilot bushing? Do a GM disc and ford pressure plate work together?

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I think the Ford bellhousing will have a locating hole larger than the Sag 4 speed. I went the other way. The clutch will work the way you discribe. The bolt pattern is wrong and you will have to make a ring to properly locate the trans center in the bellhousing. Be alot eaiser to use a Ford 4 speed.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Last I knew, Offenhauser sold a cast aluminum adapter to bolt to your existing Ford bell housing to accomplish what you want to do.

4. I would be wary of too much power for that Saginaw box. A 460 Ford better put out some good torque and Saginaws are not the strongest........

5. kiotes

kiotes

You might want to try a explosion proof bellhousing (drag race kind). I have seen them with several different bolt patterns. I have also seen a saginaw behind a bbc at the 1/4 mile dragstrip hold up fine in a 10 second car..

6. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

alright, guess i'll have to find a aftermarket bellhousing or a ford 4 speed. thanks for the info guys

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Get a Toploader 4-spd - much, much stronger than a Saginaw.

Bellhousings for chevs to run Ford trannys are easy to find, 'cause the toploader is pretty much king when it comes to factory 4-spds. Ain't too many bellhousings to put a Chevy manual trans behind a Ford because why would you when a toploader bolts up?