Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford drum brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeatnikPirate, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Any of you guys know what the wall thickness of "48 Ford drum brakes should be? I want to determine if mine have been cut (maybe too much?) or might be out of round.
    They are on the front of my 2200 lb. roadster and they're not terrible but
    have always seemed to require a lot of pedal pressure to stop the car. I know,they're not self energizing but on such a lightweight car I can't help but think that they could be better. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to the disk brakes on my other car. I've adjusted these old drum brakes as good as I can and, while adjusting, when I spin the wheels, the slight scraping sound is uneven. The G.M. master cylinder is good, and there are no leaks or air in the system. I replaced the shoes about 5000 miles ago.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. phat rat

phat rat

Wall thickness isn't what determines whether or not they are usable or not. It's the I.D. (inner diameter).

3. The maximum diameter should be 12.060 inches. I don't know what this translates to in thickness. Any chance you have the wrong ratio in your brake pedal linkage?

Charlie Stephens

4. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

I took my drums and had them cut and smoothed or whatever you call it and then they fitted the shoes to the drums. That seemed to help the shoe have a more even and complete fit to drum as it rotates.

5. Yes, you have to see how much they are oversize. Borrow a drum micrometer if you can, just compare it to the specs. Fronts are usually .060 max oversize and rears are .090 max. Those old shoes are pretty narrow so they aren't known too wll for their whoa power.

The next time you have a drum off, see if the linings are glazed up, that can cause a hard pedal as well. Another mistake people make is turning the drums to too-fine a finish, that promotes glazing.

Bob

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Any machine shop can mic the inner diameter of the drums for you. .060" over is max,...and in some states, that's the law.

4TTRUK

7. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.