Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Ford Dagenham four speed fluid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cosmo, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Yup, I cannot find the specification for what fluid to put in the transmission. I did find a good Dagenham for my Ford Econoline HD P/U (see left), which will get it running until I can afford a better (larger) drivetrain. I need to change over the output shaft and housing, which means rebuild, so I need fluid specs.

Anyone know??

Thanks,

Cosmo

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yep...Auto trans fluid...Mercon 11 or 111 will work....What are you changing the out put shaft and housing to?

3. To fit in my truck. Car output shaft and housing are a lot longer.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Are you sure you have a Dagenham? I did not know they had different lengths..Can you do a pic?

5. Pic to come. And Yes, I am quite positive of what I have. They were only put in a very few Falcons, only the 6 cylinders, Some early Mustangs (again, 6 cylinder) and only the 1964 Econoline Heavy Duty trucks, all others got three speeds.

Cosmo

6. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Hey, got a Econoline very similar to yours sitting in a salvage yard near me. Seriously it is in nice shape. What would it be worth? I have not gotten a price from the owner but he said he drove it to the yard. He also has a 67 GTO convertible that I begged him to sell me but NO, it sits out in the rain with no top.

7. the Dag-a-man trans is a 4 speed standard trannie.....should be running heavier oil than an automatic....

8. SimonSez

SimonSez

As far as I know, this is the same transmission as fitted to the British Mk III Zephyr range (which were made in Dagenham), and the factory spec for one of those is: EP Gear Oil SAE 80.

9. Thank you!! Viva La HAMB!! The Econoline board was NO help at all, chastising me for not including my address, as if that meant a thing!!

And now, for the promised pics. Do note how very much shorter the truck trans tailshaft is, 104_6754.JPG
    and how the trans bolts to the bell housing, a sure spotting point.
    104_6756.JPG

Cosmo

10. squirrel

squirrel

11. Thank you, Squirrel.
    I have that one, however, the manual itself does not cover the four speed, so I was a bit leery of the info. This trans has enough of a reputation, it doesn't need me guessing as to fluid.

12. squirrel

squirrel

If the trans is not in the manual...hmmm...wonder if there are any old service bulletins from 50 years ago? The chevy guys have collections of them, not sure about the Ford guys. Maybe the Mustang crowd might know? pretend you have a 4 speed 6 cyl early mustang, and ask on one of the resto forums

13. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

had a Dagenham in a 62 Falcon. Straight 80w at the time, but 75-90 probably okay now.
    It should probably be the older GL-4. The friction modifiers in the GL-5 will be a detriment
    to the syncros

14. seems the dang Dag was factory 4 speed behind the 6cyl in FoMoCo products about 63-64 until they fixed the early block...65 up 6cyl blocks could use the bell housing that would support the T10 and later toploaders....and later auto's as well...ask me how I know.....

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I put a Dag in a 65 Comet...Hated to have to bolt the trans to the bell first and then put the whole thing to the engine...When changing over the parts be sure the dowel pin in the tailhousing goes in the hole of the bearing retainer..I used 80w oil at first, in cold weather it would foam up and puke out the breather...I ended up using 50w engine oil to cure that but after switching to a T10 read some wheres about using auto trans fluid..