Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Country Squire vs. Ford Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bubbashead, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Bubbashead

Bubbashead

Can anyone tell me the difference(s) between a regular 1955 Ford car and a Country Squire or Ranch Wagon of that year? I am not talking about the obvious fact that one is a station wagon and the other is not. An example of my problem is trying to purchase rear brake drums. The application listing says "not compatible" for CQ or Ranch Wagon, and no other parts listed as substitutes. Is there really a difference in the basic chassis or running gear? I have a 4 door parts car and I can't see the differences. I am trying to avoid buying something that may not fit, but my gut feeling is that most of these parts will interchange.

Thank you for any insights you might have.

Lanny

2. khead47

khead47

Wagons have larger brakes.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

And a different rear end too.

4. Tim MacNeill

Tim MacNeill
    from MESA az

The station wagon frame has different rear cross members than the car chassis but the front sections are identical

5. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Jeez, now I can't comment... :rolleyes:

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't know about 55 Fords but many station wagons have heavy duty suspension and brakes.

Early 50s Chrysler and DeSoto wagons share suspension with the long wheelbase limousine models, and are different from the sedans and coupes.

Eighties Chev Caprice wagons share suspension and brakes with Chev 1/2 ton pickup, even the wheel bolt pattern is different from the sedans.

It might be that Ford wagons share suspension and brakes with Mercury or Ford pickups but this is only a guess. Your best bet is to specify station wagon when you order parts.

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have a '55 shop manual, but '54 Ford pass cars had 10" brakes while station wagons/Couriers had 11" rears and larger 15/16" rear wheel cylinders v.s. std. 7/8". In '56, all vehicles had 11" rears, but wagons/Couriers had wider 2" rear shoes and larger 15/16" wheel cylinders v.s. standard 1 3/4" shoes and 7/8" cylinders. The 11 X 2" drums may be the problem. :)

8. Bubbashead

Bubbashead

Thank you so much for the information. This answers a lot of my questions.