Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford c6 trans question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merc-o-madness, Mar 3, 2007.

  1. merc-o-madness
    Joined: Aug 23, 2004
    Posts: 1,544


    what car or truck would have a fe big block c6 trans?
  2. It has to be '66 or later (& in '66 it was called the Cruise-O-Matic C6, carrying on the old Cruise-O name for one year more....though it shares nothing in common with the true Cruise-O-Matic). Full-size Fords- LTDs, big wagons, etc. '66-'71 are a good place to look....lots of 390s and almost always automatics. The '70-'71s are more likely to have 400s or SBFs. The intermediates- Fairlane, Torino, Ranchero- sometimes have them through '69....but have often been stripped already. Mustangs-same thing, but you can try '67-'70. T-Birds- '66- early '68.

    Trucks- '66-'76; again, lots of 352s, 390s, & later 360s, many with autos, more so in the '70s. The FE was dropped from cars after '71 & light trucks after '76.

    The same thing applies to the corresponding Mercurys. Lincolns will do you no good as they used the MEL in '66-'67 & the 460 from then on.
  3. squirrel
    Joined: Sep 23, 2004
    Posts: 46,372


    on trucks watch out for the wierd cast iron tailhouising and bolt on yoke on the 66-72 models.
  4. Yep. If absolutely necessary, a slip yoke-type rear shaft & different tailhousing can be installed from a different C6 (doesn't have to be FE). You do have to disassemble the trans. Not particularly hard, though.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.