Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford building production hotrods? GT40

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 12, 2003.

1. I guess the prowler was trying to be a modern hotrod and it bombed, but the 2004 Ford GT40's I saw driving through the wine country by my house (some sort of magazine picture shoot) made me park my car and walk around them for the better part of an hour. I'm not joking, I couldnt believe what I was looking at.

These cars look like nothing I have ever seen and sound like jets. One of the guys told me they want to build like 1500 or so a year and sell for 130-175 grand. I guess they will be on the streets in a few months. No shit, right at the Ford dealer.

I want one. They were hotrods then and they are hotrods now.

Attached Files:

2. i am dead on with you on this one.... i have always loved the GT40...

to me the new GT ranks as the best ford has ever offered, bar none....

ok 'cept for maybe a deuce, or a 34 coupe,,, [​IMG]

30 years ago, i never would have dreamed that all these years later the automakers would ever consider marketing one of these cars... i figured they would have us all in 150 lb 1/2hp plastic electric cars... boy was i wrong...

i can only hope that if i live another 30 i will be as surpised as i have been these last few years.

That GT rocks!!!! i hope it kicks ferrari's ass!!! Again!!!

bob

3. Spooky

Spooky

Gents I stand along with ya 's. I loved the GT-40 when I was little in the form of Hot Wheels(got two of them-both redlines!!), even built the Tester's kit.
    Ford has to build one for racing. Bring that trophy home to our shores again!!! Get a team of USA drivers (Attention Ryan Newman, Kurt Busch, Mark Martin), get Roush Racing to prep them and go hunting for the red horse.

4. desertdroog

desertdroog

I read an article a while back when they were developing the new GT40(48 inches high this time around), which the engineers stated that they could care less about Corvette and the Viper... rather they were gunning for Ferraris throat, again!

5. when I was a kid, my brother and I would fight over who would get to race the GT40 on our electric track. I would clean the magnates with alcohol and sleep with it in my bed. I love GT40s.

6. Darwin

Darwin

Well at 150K they certainly are gunning for Ferrari prices. At least they're making horsepower the old fashioned way--cubic inches and a blower instead of overhead cams, 5 valves per cylinder, and a jillion rpm. Out of the question because of developement costs I'm sure but it would have hyper cool if they could have resurrected a big block for the occasion--say about 427 cubes worth.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm a Chevy man through and through but I'll be the first to admit these are some fine automobiles. I agree that they should field a team and do some racing. Just do me a favor and don't put that asshole Kurt Busch behind the wheel. Just when i thought that no one could be more of a jerk than Tony Stewart along comes Kurt and proves me wrong. I can't wait for Hendrick Motorsports to put his little brother in a car and whip his ass. Rant over.

Frank

8. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Given Fords track record in all racing the last few years, I think they are going to have a hard time racing the GT out the door. It took Chevy and Dodge several years to get the right mix of cars and drivers...Chevy is still doing great in Le Mans etc., Dodge okay. You know Ford is gunning for Le Mans and I am not sold that they will do much...look at their main man Saleen, people were just praying he would just finish a race. I gotta wonder what GM has up their sleeves on the next Zo6 (or maybe Sting Ray as some seem to think). Rumors are they are gunning for the Viper and GT and "vett pricing" and are gonna hit 500 hp on the street or more also. This could be fun to watch, but watch is all I will be doing at those prices.

BTW, make my GT in the Gulf colors [​IMG]

9. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Even Caddy is getting into the act. A CTS-V with the ZO6 will be available soon. Priced at around $45k so it will be a toy for wannabe yuppies who cant afford a Beemer.

10. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

But you can get a real GT40 from Holman Moody from the original molds and with a dry sump 427 for around the same price...

Shoulda shot for the Viper/Vette price range IMHO...

Holman GT 40 MK II

11. ray

ray
    from colorado

fyi, as many have acknowledged by posting the correct name, ford is just callin it the "GT". seems they pissed away the copyright on the GT-40 name...and whoever currently owns it offered to sell it for some exhorberant amount. thus the name GT. or so i remember from reading somewhere.

12. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

'bout time Ford got some of it's own medicine...

They want an absolute fortune to use the "Ford" name...

A friend of mine tried to reproduce some old flatheads that had the Ford emblem on them. He had to change them so the "Ford" no longer appeared. Kinda messed them up IMO...

13. k-member

k-member

As much as I hate new cars, I would probably trade everything in my inventory for one of those GTs. I could always piece together another old car, but never afford a new GT.

14. The only closed wheel racing avaliable in the states is ALMS, and they don't stand a chance for several years even if they can put together a top notch race team.

Even then it's going to take a hell of a prep job by Rouch to get them competative. I don't think they can touch Farrari either.

Caddilac already dropped out after a year.
    MG and Bugatti are finally making headway.
    Panoz is good but no where close to Audi.

Just my opinion
    TZ

15. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

All this nay saying is the same sort of rhetoric that was being said when Ford first launched the original GT40. "Oh they could never win in Le Mans", "Ford does'nt stand a chance against the europeans", "They should stick to stock car racing and leave world class compition to Ferrari and Porshe". Bla, bla bla. All I have to say to that is take a look at one of the greatest racing team photos ever taken, the 1966 1, 2, 3 sweep at Le Mans. Not to mention their domination of Sebring and Daytona. The car is a racing legend for a reason and no other American car company has the world class racing experiance that Ford has period.

16. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

All the rah-rahing aside. I'd be very surprised if "Ford" has any intrest in producing a "race" car based on the GT. Ford is a very different company today than it was in the 60's. I don't think they have any intrest in supporting a LeMans effort or any other High-Dollar race effort. I hope I'm wrong.

17. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Oh Man! I was in Dearborn a few weeks ago for work and while driving past Ford Proving Grounds one of these roared by. I couldn't believe my eyes as I was pickin up my jaw and rubbing my neck from the sight of it giving me wiplash. No it's not a chopped duece or dumped cruiser but you can't deny the magnificence of the GT40. Especially a brand new one. I had heard about Ford bringing them back in limited prod. but it hit me when I saw it.

18. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

That back and white one would look so bitchin' - with a gold chain and a WCC shirt!

I am pretty sure one of the original amalgamation cars, from back in the day, in sixties street trim sold for 30k less earlier this year.

19. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

I'm not saying that Ford is going to campaign this car in any sort of function. And I do agree that they are certainly not the same company they where 30 some odd years ago. All I am saying is that should Ford ever decide to commit the Gt or any other car for that matter into world class compition, they would be and have always shown themselves to be a competitive force to be dealt with.
    I'm getting off my soap box now. [​IMG]

20. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    fyi, as many have acknowledged by posting the correct name, ford is just callin it the "GT". seems they pissed away the copyright on the GT-40 name...and whoever currently owns it offered to sell it for some exhorberant amount. thus the name GT. or so i remember from reading somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 40 originally represented the height of the car, 40"
    The new one, I heard is 44" tall, so it would be a GT44...? [​IMG]
    I think they didn't want that too well know because it wouldn't be "the same".
    Personally, I like the looks of a pre-Ford GT40 Lolas with the narrower roof line, but I didn't buy a Lotus Europa when they came out because it was too claustrophobic inside.
    Hell, My TR-3 was too claustrophobic, that's why I only put the top on one day and then packed it away in the garage for the next owner!
    For the money, I'll take a new Bentley coupe.

21. Missouri_Mike

Missouri_Mike

[ QUOTE ]
    All the rah-rahing aside. I'd be very surprised if "Ford" has any intrest in producing a "race" car based on the GT. Ford is a very different company today than it was in the 60's. I don't think they have any intrest in supporting a LeMans effort or any other High-Dollar race effort. I hope I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Ford is already footing the bill for a high-dollar race effort as we speak: the Jaguar Formula One team. Not to mention being an engine supplier to both the Jordan and Minardi F1 teams under the "Ford" name, even though the engines for all three come from Cosworth. For those not familiar with modern Formula One, we're talking mega-$$$$.

Oh, and of course, there'a also them being the sole engine supplier to the CART championship (which may or may not continue), and their ongoing World Rally Championship team. Both of those are pretty substantial investments as well.

With those things going on, I'd be surprised if Ford finds a budget to take the cars to LeMans. Of course I'd love to see the do it!! I guess the biggest hope of money shaking loose comes at the demise of the Champ Car series, and that's a whole other bag full o' wishes on my part.

They had the red GT at the USGP in Indianapolis a few weeks ago...got to see Sir Jackie Stewart take it on a lap or two around the road course. I swear that he is the only man in the world that could make that car look like it has an excess of head room!! [​IMG]

22. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

The real question isn't if Ford will take the cars to the sports car and GT racing series...

But will Ford support the buyers that want to take them Sports and GT racing?

23. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

You're correct. Ford does "Support" high dollar race efforts.

I was thinking in more of the traditional sense though. In the 60's, they supported every aspect of the leMans team. Not just the engines. They (Ford employees) had a hand in designing, building, tuning, and promoting. They didn't just sit back and write the check. They got their hands dirty.

IMO that's what made the team successful. It was Ford PRIDE on the line not just Ford money.

They pay for advertising now. It's just not the same.

24. Missouri_Mike

Missouri_Mike

[ QUOTE ]
    You're correct. Ford does "Support" high dollar race efforts.

I was thinking in more of the traditional sense though. In the 60's, they supported every aspect of the leMans team. Not just the engines. They (Ford employees) had a hand in designing, building, tuning, and promoting. They didn't just sit back and write the check. They got their hands dirty.

IMO that's what made the team successful. It was Ford PRIDE on the line not just Ford money.

They pay for advertising now. It's just not the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes and no. The Jaguar team is a wholly owned Ford subsidiary...they build the engines, gearboxes, chassis, etc. In fact, a couple of years ago, it apparently raised some eyebrows at a board meeting when a list of salaries was published, and Ford's second-highest-paid employee was one "Edward Irvine", also known more commonly as Eddie Irvine, and he was Jaguar's number one driver at the time. All the engineering, construction and development for F1, CART and WRC is done by Cosworth, another in-house Ford company.

Alright, alright, this has no place on the HAMB, I know. And yes, I hope Ford at least supports privateer efforts at taking the GT racing, but I'd MUCH rather them do it themselves!