Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford brake shoe interchange

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Truckedup, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    In the catalogs 46-48 shoes have a different part number than the earlier hydraulic shoes. It appears the anchor hole on the 46-48 shoes has two "flats", earlier shoes have a round hole.....
    You know where this is going...will the 39-41 shoes fit on 46-48 backing plates? and work properly ?

2. 42merc

42merc

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

Ok, I have 48 backing plates and was offered a set of good 40 brakes shoes.....If they would fit by modifying them....I guess not

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

don't modify brake shoes . to cheap & to dangerous . I have '42s on mine , slotted , they sell them new bonded .............

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

Cheap? I call it being resourceful and making use of what's available to get a seldom driven car going.:D
    Dangerous? I'm not the first guy to have modified a brake shoe/pad to fit a different situation.

6. If you are on good terms with your local early Ford parts supplier you should be able to trade for the ones you need with little of no cash. One type isn't any more valuable than the other.

Charlie Stephens

7. hilltopgaragede

hilltopgaragede
    from Delaware

The difference is how the adjusters work. Mac's has both types, others do also.

Core charge is kind of steep. So get the right ones and then send the wrong ones back as a core.

8. Be sure to tell them what you are doing otherwise as many as 4 people will be messed up when they get their shoes. If they balk tell them you will go somewhere else. The difference is easy to miss if they are not looking for it.

Charlie Stephens