Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Brake Drum ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by barschow77, Oct 15, 2012.

1. barschow77

barschow77

Can Someone please tell me what year Drums I am looking at? Brake drums have the Stamp 8C 1126-A2 B . I was told they came off a 53 f100, I just want to be certain. Thanks

2. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal

8C1126A comes up as rear 48-68 1/2 ton and 66-69 Bronco. No mention on the 2 & B.

3. Kramer

Kramer

I'm curious as to whether these are front or rear drums?
    Thanks

4. evintho

evintho

Pics may help!

5. barschow77

barschow77

Here are a couple pics

Attached Files:

6. evintho

evintho

'56 F-100 front brake drums. Looks like a dead ringer to me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, if you're looking for new drums '66 F-100 w/352 V8 are a perfect fit for the '53-'56 brakes. $13 each on close-out at www.rockauto.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Kramer

Kramer

Except the center hole is bigger on the '66 drum than the '56 drum. How important is that. I was always under the impression that is the centering hole, lug holes have been known to oval. In that case without the correct size center, you will have a drum that is not centered correctly. Am I over thinking this?

8. evintho

evintho

Wow! You are correct, sir! I just went out into the garage and verified that. About 3/16" all the way around! Any remedies for that? I was thinking build up the hub with weld then grind it into submission. Long, tedious process. Ideas, anyone??

9. F&J

F&J

No, I would never weld and grind because it likely won't be centered perfectly

If you have a lathe or know someone who does, make a ring, and just tack weld it, not solid, because it just needs to hold the drum centric. Full weld will make a warped drum IMO

10. evintho

evintho

OK, a little more research. While centering my rearend tonight, I noticed the center hole on my steel rims is larger than the center section of the rear, too. I checked my Mustang and T-Bird. Both have Cobra-R rims. Same thing! Closer inspection reveals as long as the rim center hole is the same size or larger than the hub, as long as it clears the hub, all is good. The lugnuts are convex(?) so when you tighten them they draw the rim to the brake drum which in turn, is drawn to the hub which centers everything to the lugnuts. Didn't know I'd need a degree in physics to build a hot rod! Haha!

[​IMG]

11. F&J

F&J

Usually the lug holes in a slip-on drum are a bit oversize and were never meant to "center" the drum. The center hole is what is critical on that type of drum.

I'd back the brake adjusters off, or remove the shoes, then see if the drum can be moved off center at the studs.

Or, adjust the brakes, install the wheel, then rotate to see if the brakes drag in one spot. If it does drag, it is off center.

12. barschow77

barschow77

Well, they did not fit on the Front set up I had. They are definitely 1953 Rears and they are a bit thinner than the fronts. Oh well, now I have a nice set of Just turned 1953 Rear 11" x 2" Drums for sale.