Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FORD Borg Warner T-10 Transmission Gear Ratio?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Byers, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Byers

Byers

I just bought this Borg Warner T-10 Tranny and want to know what the gear ratio. I read on the internet about a 'Wide Ratio' Transmission with a 2.54 first gear. Which gear's teeth do I count to figure this out?

Thanks for any info, here's pics and even a video of it's smoothness:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HERE'S THE VIDEO...

Thanks for any info... any good information will be thanked with a 'LIKE'

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Put the cover back on. Mark input & output shafts. Engage 1st gear. Turn output shaft 1 complete turn. Count revolutions of input shaft. It'll probably be a 2.2 turns ...
    When originally posted , I had the shafts ass backwards -- sorry for confusion !

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    Byers likes this.
  3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Lather, rinse, and repeat for second and third gear. Fourth is 1:1, so no need to count.

Byers likes this.
  4. Yeah, the wide-ratio 2.54 low isn't all that common and not as strong as the close-ratio. What you have is a '63-64 Fairlane unit, looks to be in decent shape but could use a set of new blocker rings. This is a direct bolt-on for any 5-bolt-block SBF, if you want to use it behind a pre-'65 FE or Y-block you'll need to shorten the pilot bearing shaft on the end of the input by about 1/4" or it may bottom out on the crank. If you have a '65-up dual-pattern bellhousing this will fit those too, but you need to swap to the '65-up front bearing/throwout sleeve cover as the earlier cover diameter is smaller and won't 'index' the trans properly in the bellhousing.

Good trans behind a small block, a bit light for a mild big block, a grenade behind a hot big block. And they are known for popping out of second gear if using engine braking; the later units had 'improved' syncros with back-cut teeth to prevent this.

Byers and 302GMC like this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Wow ... I spent too much time fixing VWs ... somebody figured out how to keep a T-10 in 2nd gear ???

Byers likes this.
  6. Byers

Byers

Side cover is off... how do I manually put it in first gear?

Thanks for any help!!!

7. Byers

Byers

Got it in first, the output shaft goes from 12 o'clock to about 7 o'clock when the input shaft is spun one time. In 4th gear, the output shaft makes one complete revolution when the input shaft makes one complete revolution.

Can I figure out the ratio from that? Or should I count teeth on the gears?

8. Turn the input until the output make one full turn, counting the input turns...