Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Banjo sealing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRD57, Sep 1, 2015.

1. DRD57

DRD57

I have a 36 Ford banjo apart because it was leaking from where the bells bolt to the center section. I know that the gasket thickness is critical to setting the bearing preload as well as the final lash on the gears so, my question is: should I refrain from using sealer on the gasket because it will ultimately add to the gasket thickness or is there a sealer that is OK to use on the banjo gaskets?

2. Budget36

Budget36

I didn't use sealer on the last one I set up...yes it leaked...a guy pretty knowledgeable about Model A stuff happened to stop by, be pulled it apart and he told me to "get a fine flat file"

He wiped grease on the inner part of the gear area, and inner shell of the axle tubes, and started filing slowly and smoothed it all out, wiped the grease out (was there to catch the metal dust) and put it back together dry...not even a weep of oil in the 6-7K miles I put on it.

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

A HAMB friend is rebuilding mine right now. Maybe he will see this and chime in. Actually I siliconed them together when I did it in the '80s. Probably put it together too tight. Why not when all the clearances are set just take it back apart and seal it.

4. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

don't kno but was told years ago not to run a tap through the threads on the banjo or it will leak around the bolts, holes have a slight taper to make them seal?????

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Threads in the Banjo casting are cut for a fit a couple grades tighter than standard automotive fasteners so they seal without goo. Running a normal tap through recuts them to the standard grade 2 (I think that's the # for almost all common threads) removing the extra metal so they fit like a normal nut...and are not oil tight.
    Checking for flatitude with a file would be a good idea if leaks aren't at bolts. The whole banjo can also be warped by mistreatment like using a bottle jack to push out pinion for rebuild. Good parts should seal without need for gasket cements.

6. DRD57

DRD57

We did the fine file thing to smooth it out and true it up. It turns out that one of the lower bolt holes is stripped so, that's probably where it was leaking.

Normal thread repair methods aren't going to work to seal it up are they?

7. Budget36

Budget36

I don't see why not? Just add a sealant to the bolt after cleaning it all out with your favorite spray cleaner.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes, as noted you need to repair threads with heli coil or similar, then reinstall wit sealer to compensate for thread damage.

9. DRD57

DRD57