Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford banger distributor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jetmek, Dec 11, 2009.

1. jetmek

jetmek

so i want to buy a new mallory for a project im working on and the vendor's catalog list different part no's for model a and 32-34. he cant tell me what the differnce is....inquiring minds gotta know as i thought they were alla samee. anyone in bangerland know????

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It must be in the advance spec...these things use lots of advance. Model A has about 40 degrees available for original distributor with hand advance, starting set at zero degrees,B has about 19 static (!) and about the same in the distributor. Getting hold of the matching instruction sheets may tell how Mallory handles this.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Checked...B is 19 static, 17 crank (8 1/2) in distributor.
    Maybe Century performance or someone has the info sheets online...post what you find out. I'm not sure you can easily build a distributor that would handle the whole range as in an A! Advance would have to be somewhere above 15+ distributor degrees to handle the whole sweep of Model A driving with zero static.

4. jetmek

jetmek

thats what what i was thinking also. thanks bruce. too bad ya cant get mallory or mister gasket or whatever they are now on the phone. mite as well try to call santa claus!

5. d_Seymour

d_Seymour
    from Michigan

Figure 10° of advance per 1000 RPMs. So the most stock A is going to rev is 2800 RPM. With gearing wheel size etc. Normal top 2200 RPM so you need a unit that will go to about 28° advance.

6. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY