Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford axles:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Lancaster, May 16, 2005.

1. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

Witch number of Street Rod Builder is this? Would like to look up a copy.

I'm possitive that klazurfer has a red badge on the wall in our garage. Going there tomorrow and will take a pic.
    I've been told that 4-banger cars over here often had red badges and V8's had regular Ford blue. May not be an obsolete truth since there where a lot of factories, but who knows.

I'll certanly look for this book by Thacker. Would be a cool one to have.

I got some old article from 1933 about a Ford factory in the Netherlands, (holland). Obviously they produced deuces after 1932. It's a Ford Newspaper from feb 1933. All pics are of deuces. Stacks of frames, asembly lines etc.
    It's written in the local language there and I don't understand one bit of it. Pics are interesting anyways. Scans not suitable for rezining for posting here. Can email to anyone interested.

Paul

2. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Ok, fellas, I reposted the pics that were missing. If I put any of the pics under the wrong posting, let me know. I kind of did this in a hurry.....the ribs are burning.....

Also, Drewfus' pics were gone. I saved them from the original thread.......here they are again...

EDIT: Well, I can't find Drewfus' pics. I have since purchase the magazine and scanned the images at a higher resolution.......however, they won't fit and If I shrink them to fit, you can't read them...

If someone has them, repost 'em! They were from a 70's magazine that had great tech info about how to identify Ford spindles and axles....

3. I am going to run a spring over on a 40 axel and wishbones, and thanks to the HAMB for pointing me to Posies for the spring. My main concern is the perch area, do you guys grind the tops of the bones down to make the perch bolt look like it isn't sinking in? Also, I have new Speedway perches and lower shock mounts but there isn't enough bolt for the nut they provide. Should I use a shorter nut and some strong loctite?

4. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

Sure did come in red, Bruce.

4-banger over here

Paul

Attached Files:

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

All these measures...are the applicable to the other Ford products like Mercury and Lincoln?
    I've been told that Lincoln kingpins are larger diameter for example.
    Did they even have buggy spring suspensions?

6. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Found them in my million file directory........sheesh!

Drewfus, I'll still get the others to you sometime.....if I forget, drop me a PM!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. What magazine and date/month is that axle article from ?

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The Rod Action axle article is in a book, "Ford Street Rods", Fall 1975. This has several good reference articles: the axles, Ford transmissions, and the gigantic brake swap article we have in tech here now. I don't remember if these articles appeared in Rod Action regular issues as well. Maybe I'll auction my spare copy as a HAMB fundraiser...hmmm.

9. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Ford: Street Rods
    Fall 1975

pretty good mag....lot's o info....

EDIT: I can email you a better scan of them...and I see Lancaster beat me to the punch...I got my info from him and picked up a really nice copy for around $12...

10. Still here mate, if ya get a chance, then I'll put them on a linked page for all.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

11. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

I think I put the cart before the horse again. I THOUGHT I found my higher res scans........crap, I know I did a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I'll put it on the to do list......sorry for the delay!

12. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Ok, ok, now I KNOW I have them because I just rescanned them......

Drewfus, I'll look to see if I can find your email addy.......if you get a chance shoot me another email if you don't get them in the next few minutes...

Anyone else, just email me...

13. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hi Paul,
    I'll take a scan of that paper.
    Dutch is semi close to German.....maybe i can understand a little.
    Thanks
    Michael

14. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hi Dick,
    so can aftermarket gear sets (like a 3.54) in a 33/34 rear axle?
    Thanks
    Michael

15. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

16. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

Hi Michael
    Sorry but i did not see this request of yours until now. Will send it to ya.

Paul

17. MattStrube

MattStrube

I printed out your article FY, real informative and a good piece to have. Printing the service bulletin now.

18. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Bringing this thread back up before it slides off the edge of the earth.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the ends of two of my axles, a '32-'36 above and a '32 below. The '32 is a very unique axle.

Dave Mann
    (602) 233-8400 weekdays
    http://www.roadsters.com/

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

From Dave's post, you can see the obvious difference in heft between '32 and '33-6, but if you haven't handled both in person you may still not be certain at the fleamarket...so, look at the area where the perch bolt goes through: The teo axles are interchangeable, fit the same perch bolts, fit the same wishbones...SO, the heavy is alightly recessed at thtat point, the light has a slight raised boss. Instant ID.

20. Gnashty1

Gnashty1

Been looking at bones and axles, trying to tell one from another and determine what is best. Found this post, and followed the link to Flathead Youngin's pics of the article - ENLIGHTENMENT.

Deserves a btt.

John

21. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Flathead Youngin's post above (post number 66 in this thread) provides scans of the article about early Ford axles that Neal East wrote many years ago. A couple of weeks ago Neal called me and we talked about the article. Now living in Littleton, Colorado, Neal is still a very enthusiastic hot rodder and all-around good guy.

Dave Mann
    (602) 233-8400 weekdays
    http://www.roadsters.com/

22. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

Many years ago!!!

Read the last sentence in the article.
    " Now all you need to do is put on your high boots and go stomp around in the junkyard for a while and you'll have your goodies" :):):)

Those days are over around here, fer sure. :(

Good stuff

Paul

23. iball

iball
    from SoCal

This was great - a lot of help!!! I would like to mention if anyone has a old dropped axle the kingpin to kingpin will be different. Mine loses 3"-4".

24. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

4,444 "1932" Model 18's were built in 1933. 238 Model 18's were built in 1934. These numbers do not appear to include Model B (4 cyl.) cars. It is not stated if this is U.S. production only, or worldwide. I'm guessing it is worldwide, though. Further, it appears that these are calender years, not model years.

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Those are almost certainly overseas cars--I think some were assembled in the tiny little European assembly plants as late as 1935, and the AA's, BB's, and banger engines were built for years more in England and Germany.
    There was even an English 1933-4 model of updated 1932 Ford, a facelifted model and not a pure leftover! It had 1933 looking dash, differnt lights and bumpers, and lots of little detail changes. I would assume at least some had a sprinkling of '33-4 mechanical parts as leftovers ran out, but don't really know. Can't thinf of the model # designation of these cars...well covered in the earlier Thacker deuce book.

26. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

These facelifted cars also had some mods done to the fenders.
    Front fenders had kind of a skirt on them. Similar to a 33/34 Model Ford.

Paul

27. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I got excited after the wishbone thread so I went back into my "secret stash" of Ford axles...

The top axle is one we all know and love, the 1932 Ford Heavy Axle

Second is '33-'36 (both the '32 and the '33-'36 have a two inch perch boss)

Third down is a '37-'41

Forth is a '42-'47

...and last but not least is the 1948.

I thought I had a model A axle, but apparently I don't. Those are pretty easy to identify since they are pretty much straight.

I hope this helps someone some day.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. I installed a 32 34 front axle on my 29 RPU and got a measured drop of 1 3/4" I reread the post and see that we are talking apples and oranges. I put in my comment because I've heard anywhere from a 1 1/2 " drop to a 2 1/4 " drop by installing a "32" axle under an "A"

29. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

i tell them the truth, you want a 4" drop ill go 4" over stock, but its a lot of drop.......one guy came to me asking for a 4" drop over stock, i went 4" over stock and he started wining about "it was dropped way too much.......... the smaller drops are much better in my opinion