Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford AOD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Nov 24, 2012.

1. This would be for the transmission gurus. Ford's Aod, non electric, they say to use one from a pickup or mustang HO. So what's the differance than one from say a 87 cougar behind a mild 351 cleavland.

2. 61falcon

61falcon

any AOD will work. fyi, the AOD with electronic shift is an AODE.

3. Mark T

Mark T

'89-'93 are the best years for the AOD, they already have the better internals for anything with horsepower. I'm also planning on an AOD behind a mild 351C in my '55 Ford.

Search the web, there's a ton of info out there about these transmissions.

Calkins likes this.
  4. Mark T is correct. the later years (prior to the AODE) had improved internals.

Mine is a 93 model.

5. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Just make sure your TV is set perfectly, otherwise you'll burn it up in 300 miles!

6. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

There is a good video on youtube that covers setting the TV on an AOD.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6L3hNzxdiYw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Check out tccoa.com - ford transmission engineer has a ton of good info. Probably help you out. I got some good info for my '02 stang. Good luck!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. I have a 87 aod from a cougar in the garage. So they improved after 87-88?

9. George

George

The shift pattern is reversed car vs truck/vans. Put a van tranny in a car, park will be where drive is now if you don't change the lever out. TCI makes a constant pressure valve body that eliminates the gnats ass adjust, though you do still need to use the rod/cable.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The later ones have a better calabrated valve body

11. Ok Thanks guys

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:) Hi tedley.You might want to check out silverfox.com.They build an AOD that all of the pressures are controlled in the valve body.The TV cable becomes simply the kick down activator.Can build to almost any level of HP and TQ.
    I am just going by what their web site says.Have never used one.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

13. deucemac

deucemac

If I remember correctly, Mustang V8, Lincoln Mk VII, and trucks used a larger direct clutch (more clutches and steels) pack. When you are in direct you are using only 1 clutch pack pulling the entire weight of the car. The smaller packs will slip under heavy load especially if the TV is not adjusted right. One also has to be careful with an injected engine that uses multiport feed. The TV rod/cable is attached to the butterfly shaft by a nylon bushing which tends to dry out and get hard, resulting it coming apart and the slop from the missing bushing will be enough to cause low pressure in direct (3rd gear) and the trans will merrily cook itself in less that 100 miles. Made a good living for lots of years with that problem. Okay trans but TV problems and the one clutch operation is it's downfall.

Calkins likes this.
  14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  15. tnich123

tnich123

Count me in on the same problem. I was told I have an AOD trans in my truck.I was told it came out of a FE mustang(94 I believe). It has a a electric plug at the back of the trans. The PO had replaced the FE with a old carb set up. It runs good but has no place to hook up a tv cable. I am also sum what confused what the purpose of the tv cable is. I assumed that it was for use with the overdrive. I replaced the shifter with a Lokar and dont have any additional cables going to the carb. I use the standard drive option and not the overdrive but after reading this post I now have serious concerns I might be hurting this trans.
    Where do i find the numbers on the trans to make sure what I have?
    Thanks guys I see I am not the only one with this problem.

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Click on the links I posted above yours,the answers can be found there.

17. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Try to locate a police car trans from 89. The cop cars still had a holley carb with the Windsors and they had a downshift rod like the older models

18. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Pickups and Hi po transmissions had more clutch plates than a Cougar with a 3.8 V-6 had. It will give you more durability. As others have said, make sure the T.V pressure is set right. If it is wrong the trans will burn up in no time. I built a lot of AOD transmissions when I was a mechanic in a Ford dealership, and they are a very durable transmission

19. Cleveland Coupe

Cleveland Coupe

Do yourself a favor and purchase the Lokar TV type kick down cable and follow the installation instructions. Ford lists the specific pressures and the ports to check them accurately in their service manuals or use google search. I have successfully put 30K on my 351 cleveland 30 model A with no issues.

20. KY Boy

KY Boy

Calkins likes this.