Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford aod question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baggs, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Baggs

Baggs

Should the aod "freewheel" or disengage od when I let off the pedal? I just installed one in my 54, set it up with a pressure gauge to the recommended pressures. Didn't seem to kick out of od until I slow way down. Also had to adjust the tv pressure up a little bit, wanted to go into od too early. I just want to make sure of the operation before I hit the road for more than a few miles.

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The transmission shouldn't disengage when you let off the pedal in OD. The AOD is a lockup style transmission, meaning it should stay engaged to engine brake in OD. Have you rebuilt the trans recently? If you haven't rebuilt it, and you are sure the TV pressure is correct (trans shifts properly), then there is a good chance that the OD band is toast. The OD band tends to be a weak point in AOD's. Especially when people hold the trans in 2nd gear manually for racing or whatever.

Good Luck

3. Baggs

Baggs

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I didn't know the correct operation. I just compared it to how new vehicles go in and out of od. Ok I'm not as worried about that now. I haven't rebuilt the trans. Bought out from a trusted buddy who had this in a tbird. And it either fine. The trans shifts in and out of all gears, just went into od to early. But with the pressure adjusted a little higher it is alot better. It kicks out of od when I hit the pedal too. I plan to drive it around in short bursts and fine tune it and hope it goes well. I'm sure it didn't help that the rear end is a 3.54 either. Wish me luck, I can't afford another trans.....

4. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

In stock form, AODs tend to upshift a little quicker than a performance oriented driver would like. AODs also a little reluctant to downshift. Once you are satisfied that the trans is set up properly, get in the habit of noting RPM vs MPH. If you notice that the RPM start to creep up (you start running 1900 RPM @70 MPH instead of 1800 for example) or you notice the trans shifting a lower speed, check your line pressures. This habit could save you trans fry. As previously noted the OD band is the weakest band. Every time you shift into OD you go through a clamp up cycle and generate heat. Consider leaving the trans in 3rd gear around town and save the OD band for the highway. (AODs lock up in 3rd & 4th gears.) The overdrive reduces RPM by about 1/3. AODs are a good trans if you keep the line pressure adjusted correctly.

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Your 3.54s are fine,the factory ran any number of ratios up to 4.11s.My buddy has an AOD behind a 427W with 5.14s and 26"tires,no problems in four years.We pulled the trans out of an 87 Cougar,had it freshened up and a shift kit installed. ROY.

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011