Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford alternator wiring?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 215slowpoke, Mar 22, 2005.

1. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

can a ford alternator be looped to a single wire like the chevy alternators or does it need to be wired how its suposed to be wired? My generator took a shit and i need to put a alternator i have lying around on it. Maybe if someone has a schematic of the wiring that would also be very helpful.

Thanks Travis

2. RoadKat

RoadKat

The trouble with 1 wire alts is they dont always sense when to charge. With the ford u have. The I is from ign with a 6 or 8 volt res. the A is from the batt. S is from stator on alt. F is from the field of alt. Get a regulator if it aint internal already and the IASF is marked on it, so is the alt. If u dont use the resistor u will have to pull the batt. cable to shut the engine off each time. The wiring dia. is pretty much the same, if u find it in a chiltons or other manual. Hope this helps.