Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 9" Rear Ends...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalé with cheese, May 30, 2012.

1. Royalé with cheese

Royalé with cheese

I was just wondering if all Ford 9" rear ends have the same wheel bolt patterns.

Mine is from a '78 truck and I'll be getting new wheels so I'm wondering if any used 5-bolt wheel from a 9"er will fit.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. JonF

JonF

Truck rear will be 5 on 5.5" bolt cocked.

3. 54MEB

54MEB

No, they will have several bolt patterns. Most cars had a 5 x 4.5" and as said the trucks have the 5 x 5.5". I believe there is also a 5 x 5" as well.

4. grazy

grazy

Ford full size trucks and Broncos are 5 on 5 1/2 .The only ones that are not are small Rangers and Bronco II but they will not have a 9" late 60s early 70s F-100 and small Econoline and Falcon trucks will also have pass car 5 on 4 1/2 .

Last edited: May 30, 2012

5. squirrel

squirrel

also late 70s Tbirds

6. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

what was the first and last years ford made the 9"?['57 & ?]Did ford ever use the 9" in 3/4 or one ton trucks?

7. squirrel

squirrel

57-86 I'm pretty sure. Not in 3/4 tons, they used the Dana 60 or 60HD

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

1986 is the last year. The last years (79-86)was only in F-150's, Bronco's and Vans.

9. trksmth

trksmth

30 Years 1956 to 1986 is what I believe, have been told they run them is some 1987, but I've never seen one.

10. I believe it was called the 9-3/8. Has a slightly larger ring gear, but the bolt pattern of the center section is the same as std 9-inch. So if you have one of those housings, you can bolt a std 9-inch center into it. But fitting a 9-3/8 center into a std 9-inch housing will not fit without grinding clearance on the mounting lip.

11. ROCKETMAN65

ROCKETMAN65

Gents,

I have a 1962 Mercury Comet S-22 and I plan on installing a Ford 302 Engine in it this Spring. I want to ensure I pick the correct rear end for the engine and transmission. Can anyone tell me what year Ford 9" Rear End that will fit my Mercury with limited modifications, so I can start searching the junk yards? I plan on rebuilding the rear end from the inside out, however I'm not sure what range of years I should be searching for my car. i would like to have posi and disc brakes on the rear end

Thanks for your advice and assistance!

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yes, old thread but, info still needed. as for question posted by Newbie - no easy bolt in 9" , especially with disc brakes. Ford 8" possible width option and 8.8 possible option to get disc brakes. one source of Ford, and others, wheel bolt pattern sizes: wheellugpattern.net/Ford_Bolt_Patterns.htm and for rearend width info: www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Rear-End-Widths.asp

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  13. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I wouldn't get too hung up on a particular junk yard rear end. Find one that is the right width for the Comet and go from there. The 9" is the SBC of the rear end world. Endless aftermarket support, hundreds of different disc brake conversions, gear ratios, differential options, spring / shock mounts, etc.

Interesting side note. It is true that the 9" was in production for 30 years, but the Dana 60 mentioned earlier in 3/4 Ton F-250's and 350's was in production even longer. They can be found under 3/4 tons from 1955 to 2011. A run of 56 years.

14. You won't find a 9" under everything; Ford substituted 'other' rear axles starting in the 60s in both cars and trucks. They even sold optional 'heavy duty' rear axles (more heavy duty than the 9") in the 1/2T trucks which were Dana 60s with the 5-bolt wheel pattern. Very hard to find parts for these days....

Rocket Man, unless you're installing a killer big-power 302 with big tires the Ford 8" would be enough. And while the options available for the 9" are nearly unlimited, don't expect it to be cheap; adding posi and disc brakes will up the ante by about $1K. The only 9" that was factory-equipped like that was the rare optional '78-79 Lincoln Versailles/Granada/Monarch unit, and these had troublesome brakes that are very expensive to rebuild.

Best bet these days is the late 80s/early 90s Ford Explorer 8.8" rear; nearly as strong as the 9", lighter, many came with discs/posi, some are narrow enough to fit your Comet as-is, right bolt pattern (4.5" on 5) and they're cheap. Guys are picking these up for as little as $150. Because this is the rear used in 5.0 Mustangs, there's plenty of aftermarket support too.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Rocketman--not that you would consider a Dana 60 (or even need one) for this car, if you do and you don't have a trans. jack, you better start pumping iron TODAY, cause they are HEAVY.
    I know, cause around 1970 a friend had a 66 hemi car that he campaigned in Super Stock D/stick,
    and even as a 250 pound, strong young'n it was a bitch to handle.
    Doug