Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford 9 inch questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Th0tSlayer117, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Th0tSlayer117

Th0tSlayer117

Hello, I'm new to posting here, but I've read several threads on the hamb before.

I'm wanting to upgrade some pieces on my 9 inch, but I don't have the funds right now to completely upgrade the whole thing at once. I'm pretty sure I want a nodular iron 3rd member, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I might have read that there are some 10" ring gear 3rd members out there and how a 10 inch ring gear will be stronger than the standard 9 inch. However, I've also read that a 10 inch ring gear won't last long on the street, which is where my rig will mostly be driven. Another deciding factor as to which I should get a 10 inch ring gear or not is if a 10 inch will fit into a factory housing. Also I believe I've read that not all 10 inchers aren't actually 10 inches, more like 9.5 inches. I should say that I don't know if I'll buy another ring gear yet, I just wanted to know what housing I should get. And I'm realizing that a 10 inch 3rd member might not let the pinion and standard 9 inch ring mesh correctly, so if I wanted to do it, I'd have to do both.

Secondly, I am lead to believe that there are two different pinions for the 9 inch that were from the factory, 28 and 31 toothed pinions. I'm not sure which pinion I have. (The axle is under a 1978 F-150 4x4 if that helps identifying anything.) I don't know what the swapability options are with the pinions and their tooth count. And I don't know if there are bigger pinions offered aftermarket.

Thirdly, is the Daytona pinion support the strongest pinion support out there? I'd like to get one of those if I get a third member, but will it just bolt on the the 3rd or will I need bigger bearings to go along with it? And does it matter if I get an aftermarket one or a factory one? How easy/difficult is it to install or swap a pinion support?

Fourthly, does anyone make a bolt on truss for a Ford 9 inch?

Ultimately, by the end of it all, I'd like a full floater with 35 spline axles, either a Detroit locker or Yukon Grizzly, (feel free to chime in and tell me which one I should get) mabye a 10 inch ring gear, and a Daytona pinion support. I'm not fond of the idea of cutting and welding my axle housing to convert to a full floater. I've seen a company called Miller Built who makes bolt on floater kits. Does anyone besides them make those things?

I'm just wanting to get a sense of what I can do with the axle as of now to beef it up. Any input is apprectaited

2. Budget36

Budget36
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The larger ring gear won’t work in a 9 inch housing as-is, but looks like you may be want a 4x4 forum instead?

stillrunners and squirrel like this.
  3. Th0tSlayer117

Th0tSlayer117

Yes, I believe your right. Thanks.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are some of those slightly larger ring gear but look almost the same rears around but I don't think the pieces interchange.
    I haven't seen the 35 spline axle thing but that may be a race car only deal for the big $$ boys.

It sounds like you need to be on a race car only board rather than a traditional hot rod and custom car board though. Hotrodders dot com has a section that is just about nine inch rears . Search results for query: 9 inch rear axle | Hot Rod Forum (hotrodders.com)

5. Th0tSlayer117

Th0tSlayer117

Thanks a bunch

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

As far as I know most everyone calls the larger ring gear/third member out as a 9&3/8".
    Those are generally real high geared (low numerically), I think in the 2.73, 3.00 range.
    Another important thing to know is the aftermarket does not support them much with parts such as ring and pinions, posi's, etc.
    Yes, the larger ring gear will fit the standard 9 inch housing with some clearance grinding.
    Sounds like besides being limited in funds you may also be looking at this with a "bolt-on" point of view and I think one of two things needs to happen and that is either get a medium sized MIG welder and teach yourself how to weld or get real friendly with someone who does, many times "bolt-ons" are a compromise and end up being replaced later anyway.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Sounds like you need to stop reading so many magazines and internet articles.
    If you are working on a late model 4x4 you need to go to different site.
    Speedway sells a reasonably priced chunk for a 9 inch already to bolt in your choice 28 or 31 spline. Posi or spool. Nodular case Daytona support. Great for the street or moderate competition.

Sent from my SM-A505U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

stillrunners likes this.
  8. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

The best place I have found for 9 inch Ford hotrod parts is Mark Williams Enterprises...Pricey but well made...

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  9. big bird

big bird

9-and-change is a (really) obsolete unit, even by HAMB standards. Parts are hard to find. More power loss than an actual 9". The complete center chunk will fit a standard 9" housing with a little grinding, if you really want to. But, why?

10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

The 9-3/8 was a big- boat deal, Birds, Lincolns etc. You can swap things around if you must, but the 9-3/8 is a red-headed stepchild. I have had folks tell me that the 31-spline housing and axles from a 66 428 Bird in my 406 car is a 9-3/8 unit and incompatible, but it has a 9" N case with a spool and 5.14s in it, been that way since around '78

11. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

You can’t be limited by budget, and do what you want to do. Save your money and buy all the parts at one time.
    If you really need a bigger ring gear than a 9”, you need to step up. No stock nodular case, no Daytona pinion support. You go to Strange, order an ultra case with a 12 bolt pinion support, bigger bearings, spool deflection load support, billet caps with through bolts, designed for 9”, 9 1/2”, or 10” ring gear.
    If you want a diff, and 35 spline axles, then you don’t need a bigger ring gear. The standard 9” ring gear will be plenty strong for the axles and any diff you put in it.

12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Full floater 9"? Sounds like a Dana 60 or a corporate rear axle assembly to me.
    How do these people get here?

13. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

There have been full-floater 9" setups in NASCAR for many, many years

14. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Not in factory ford PUs, the Dana and corporate floater axles had 10" ring gears, I think he's got thing a little confused.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Let’s get more confusing, Ford pick ups also came out with semi floating Dana sixties! Lol

Bones

stillrunners likes this.
  16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Don’t try to redesign the wheel , as has been discussed . N case Daytona Support and 31 spline with a Detroit Locker and it will be tuff for you to bust it . It you brake that , a 9 3/8 ring gear in not the answer . I think some classes on being an Adult should be next in order first .

stillrunners likes this.
  17. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Bones , I just saw your post Ford and Dodge , came OEM with semi float Dana 60s . When we say rare , and strong , this is the definition but they are there .

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Not sure about the semi floating 70s but I have a semi floating 60, 3.54 gear with a power loc. Scored it years ago out of an about 1967 Ford 1/2 ton pick up. I think it is very similar to the rear ends in some of the Hemi power cars.

Bones

20. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, there were some 1/2 ton Ford pickups with Dana 60, seen a few in 4x4s. Somebody got the idea that the 9-3/8 was somehow superior to the 9, but in performance setups, no- it was a barge unit

21. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

This is is really OT,but this is what I know.
    Pinion spline is 28 stock or 35 spline on the pro gears.
    Gear sets come in 9, 9 1/2, or 10 inch.An aftermarket carrier and pinion support will be needed for the larger gears and 35 spline axles.A floater housing was used in NASCAR and drag cars.To the OP, this setup you want is not cheap and if you are going to do it ,I suggest you contact MW or Strange and get a complete assembly

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Your F-150 housing has the pinion offset to the pass side 4-3/8", so if you bolt on floater assemblies, the rear will be extremely wide and the pinion offset will still be a factor.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. jaracer

jaracer

What are you building and what do you want to do with it? For a street rig, a stock 9 inch is a pretty strong rear axle assembly.

24. Seen them even in a Chevy 1/2 ton 1969 with a 396 4sp....Dana 60 that is....factory tach truck and a buddies...

Boneyard51 likes this.