Register now to get rid of these ads!

FORD 9 inch Housing 65 K code or 58 Ranchero

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CENTURION, Sep 26, 2008.

1. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Hello:

Regarding a 1965 Cyclone old school period correct 4 speed but power plant undecided yet street car build

I have the choice of investing in either FORD 9 inch Housings:

A 1965 Mustang K code or 1958 Ranchero. Both aforementioned housings have backings with two dimples with drain plug and both belived to be bolt in fit for a 1965 Comet. Of concern is following:

Which housing has the thicker wall thickness?

Did any of these housings come with factory Big Bearing and 31 inch spline?

Note: I realize Modern Tech is the way to go however I am simply trying to remain old school.

Thank you again!

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I would guess both housings would be the same strength wise, but that is just a guess from what I have seen over the years.

The 58 should have big bearings and 1/2'' backing plate retainer bolts which would make it easy to use later model 11'' diameter and wider shoe F100 brakes with car style drums. I dont think you will find 31 spline in either of the 2 diffs you mentioned unless added later but that could be changed by you by just purchasing the correct interal items.

Nothing wrong with 28 spline for most purposes.

The 65 could be running the smaller berarings and smaller backing plate retainer bolts etc.

3. old4dlvr

old4dlvr

Yes the 58 may have the big bearings as they had both . Replace the axles with after market 31 spline ones. 40% stronger than 28s and same price.

4. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

58 rearend station wagon or ranchero big bearing !passenger car small bearing not ! mustang rearend eould probably have the smaller locating hole on the axle pads though making it an easier swap

5. Ford Fairlane

Ford Fairlane

The Mustang 9" rear will have the tapered down tubes that use the same axles and bearings as the same year Mustang 8" rear. The 57-59 Ranchero, Wagon and Retractable 9" should have the larger tubes with the bigger bearings. The standard rear for a Ford 300/Fairlane will have the smaller bearings and smaller tubes. All of them will have 28 spline axles though.

6. Drive Em

Drive Em

The K code rear will have really thin wall thickness on the tubes. Use the Ranchero housing with the big bearings, and sell the K code housing to a restorer. I wouldn't build anything that has a decent amount of H.P. with a small bearing housing.

7. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

I'm using a '59 sedan 9" rearend in my '65 Cyclone. It's small bearing. The stock V8 Comet 8" has a tapered housing ;same as the Mustang rear. You'll need larger U bolts for the swap with the Ranchero rear end as well as the bottom mounting plate, so try to get the plate , too. The shocks will bolt right in. Buy new U bolts.
    As stated above ,the Ranchero and station wagon came with lg. bearings, so this is preferable. I believe it will accept 31 spline axles or retain the 28 spline if you're not going to have large HP.

If the K code rear comes with a trac lock differential and you dont plan on big power it would be a bolt in swap.

8. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Guys:

Thank you so much for the input. The 9 inch rear in question ended up having small bearing. I wanted Large Bearing so I could add the 11 inch heavy duty brakes. I am thinking of investing in a Large Bearing 31 spine 65 Galaxie 9 inch rear and having it configured to accept the Crites leaf spring relocation kit. This way I may be able to run Wider cheater slicks with other Crites based taction bars and frame connectors with heavy duty brake drums. If I may ask the following:

There is a firm who offers a front 40 FORD spindle based and rear backing plates of which are large bearing FORD 9 inch specific. This firm will allow the use of 12 inch Buick finned aluminum drums to be ran on all four corners. Of concern is the following:

Did the 12 inch aluminum Buick drums contain steel replaceable brake lining inserts?

Do you recall if the racers back in the 60's A/FX cars and Gassers used the Buick aluminum 12 inch brakes of were these brakes mostly used on 30's Street Rods?

Thank You again.