Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 9" Axle Seal Problems

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by garychurchill, Feb 10, 2018.

1. garychurchill

garychurchill

I have a Ford 9" RearEnd in my 32 which I have only take fully apart because I was informed it was 'ready to go'
    It has the 3.149" O.D. Sealed Wheel Bearings that have an O-Ring, axle tube housing I.D. is 2.5" and my axles are the 1.5" 31 spline. Well, they had a slight drip, so I pulled one side, and I don't see a seal in it other than the O-Ring which is built into the bearing. Do these type of axles need a seal further inside? Looking for some recommendation as I am not sure I can get a seal to seat nicely inside with the weld joint going on. See pics below -

IMG_2556.jpg IMG_2558.jpg IMG_2600.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

The original Ford design used a seal, but the replacement housing ends like yours has, don't have a place for a seal.

Sometimes, the seal on the bearing leaks. You can try replacing the bearing, it might help, or it might leak again. I had a similar problem with the rear in my 55, fortunately it had enough room to install a seal, so that fixed the leak. Only one side leaked, I only put the seal in that side.

3. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

We had that problem in our stock car with a nine inch ford and we got a inner seal that goes in the tube by the pumpkin,got it from speedway or summit.never had a problem again

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Some of the housings I was having made by Quick Performance with the "Torino Ends" were coming with only the o-ring on the bearing like that at first, they have since started supplying another seal that goes up in the end of the tube. I don't have the part number off hand but if you were to call them they could probably point you in the right direction.

5. Dave Friend

Dave Friend

Hi
    I had a stock set up with the seal and when I got my strange axles I had to remove the seals. Then one side leaked. There was gaskets between the bearing end and the backing plate which I did not put in when I got my new axles. I installed new gaskets and the leak stopped. This may be all you have to do.
    Regards
    Dave

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The o ring is now your seal . Clean the OD of the bearing , inside of the housing . RTV is your friend . Anaerobic Sealer is best . Use as directed , meaning allow to dry as directed before installing and you will never have another issue . Clean and as Directed , kinda sounds bad doesn’t it !

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. squirrel

squirrel

Actually, the lip seal that is part of the bearing assembly, is now your seal. Good luck.

8. The housing looks like it has a step for a seal to seat against.

9. squirrel

squirrel

really? I don't see it. I only see the tube, and the end, and the weld between them.

There are weld on ends available with a seal seating surface. They look like this

0001942_ce-2009ad-billet-late-model-large-bearing-housing-end-deep-butt-weld-style_360.jpeg

10. garychurchill

garychurchill

There’s definitely no room unless the seal was to go down in the tube

11. garychurchill

garychurchill

Or if there was a thin gasket behind the axle that might work?

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. squirrel

squirrel

If you put the seal in the tube, instead of the end, then it won't be concentric with the axle....

13. garychurchill

garychurchill

I should of clarified.. sorry. That was the only way I’d see a seal work. There’s no more room at the axle end

14. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, I realize that. It's a tough situation.

15. krylon32

krylon32
    Alliance Vendor
    from Nebraska

I get the rears for my customer chassis from John's. They have an o ring bearing and there are seals included in the hardware package. All the housings use Torino ends. I have to date not had a complaint from customers about leaks?

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Is this rear end vented well?

squirrel likes this.
  17. Lockjaw

Lockjaw

put a thin smear of silicone on the inside of the axle housing where the bearing goes then put the axle in -worked for me!

18. garychurchill

garychurchill

19. Dave Friend

Dave Friend

Hi
    The problem is not the housing end but the axle will not accept a lip seal and relies on the o ring and bearing seal. Just use silicone or on the o ring surface of the housing and use gasket or silicone on the brake backing plate
    Regards
    Dave

20. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

21. squirrel

squirrel

that looks like a neat way to deal with it, thanks for the link.

22. garychurchill

garychurchill