Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 8" Axle Removal Help...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad S., Mar 9, 2008.

1. Brad S.

Brad S.

Last night I noticed a new noise coming from my rear passenger wheel. A little pop and grinding. It sounded like the bearing gave a little and the brake pads were making contact with the drums every now and then.

Jacked it up. Took off both wheels and hubs and checked them against each other. Drivers side has no play. Passenger side moves up and down. Damn.

This is a post '67 Ford 8" rear end. My understanding is that once the retaining bolts have been removed from the backing plate and housing, the axle should slide straight out.

I removed the nuts and bolts holding the axle to the housing. I've put a substantial amount of grunt behind it but I think I'm missing something.

Any hints from you guys that have done this before? I'm a noob at taking apart an axle.

2. pickleweasel_00

pickleweasel_00

Not sure if I've worked on 8" axles with retaining plates similar to the 9" before, but the 8" axles I have worked on require you to remove the differential cover. From there you need to remove a retaining pin in the middle of the carrier that sits between the two axles (a small bolt secures it at one end). Then you slide each axle in and remove the c-clip, and they should slide out of the housing

3. Brad S.

Brad S.

This is an 8" Ford pumpkin. No differential cover.

My understanding is that it doesn't have the retaining clip. It should just slide out. At least that's what I remember.

4. Sracecraft

Sracecraft

Brad,

Your correct, 4 backing plate bolts go thru the bearing retainer plate and housing end. The bearings fit snug in the axel tube, and rust and heat from the dead bearing can get them stuck.
    I would try 2 pry bars ( about 24" long) one on each side, and carefully lever against the backing plate. All the balls in the bearing may have gone to one side making it not pull the race straight out, this will make it bind, so push then rotate the axel alittle and push again.
    If that does not work see if your auto parts store has a hub puller slide hammer for this job.

Craig

5. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

slide hammer ! if you don`t have one, bolt the ends of a big chain to the studs and yank ! it will pop out .

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

It's exactly like the 9" - I think pickleweasel is thinking of 8.8"

I've put the drum on backwards, threaded three lugnuts on backwards (flatside in) & then used the drum as a slide hammer.

This assumes you've got the four retaining nuts off...

7. 325w

325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chain hooked to a wheel stud. Stand back and give it a couples of pops. BEware of the chain at all times as you might change your voice.....

8. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

pulls out, flip your drum around, use it like a slide hammer, on the lug studs, 8" have NO other fastening bolts other than the 4 backing plate bolts...John

9. If its an 8 inch and you have all of the nuts off of the retaining bolts put the drum on backwards,install 3 lugnuts or more on at least half way. Use the weight of the drum as a slide hammer to pull the bearing and axle out of the housing.

10. Geez great minds think alike.....

11. Kruzer63

Kruzer63

I have seen that happen with both 8 and 9 inch axles, sometimes they come out nice and are your friend, and other times they can be a real pain in the ass. I had a 63 Fairlane that i tugged and tugged and that would not come free, so we wrapped a piece of chain around the axle and hooked it to some heavier steel as a weight and made an impromptu slide hammer so to speak, couple good yanks with the steel as momentum and it popped free.

12. Kruzer63

Kruzer63

Holy moly, everyone thinks the same, i couldnt even type it fast enough to post before all you guys posted similar ahead of me hahahaha

13. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Your on the right track, but your probably goin need a axle puller, it can be a simple plate with a three holes drilled with 1/2" holes on a 4 1/2" bolt circle, thats should be bolt pattern on that rear, and a tapped hole to mount a slide hammer on. I have even used a length of chain for this, find a piece that has lengths large enough to fit over your lug studs, bolt both ends of chain to a couple studs with your lug nuts, and whip the chain like your crackin a whip, sounds crazy, but it will work.
    Later

14. Brad S.

Brad S.

I put a four foot pry bar on it and popped out. Gracias. That was a little tighter than I expected.

Now how do I get the retaining ring off of it? Heat and beat?

I'd hate to take this to a machine shop.

15. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

have it pressed off/on don't f^&* it up now!

16. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Use a big cold chisel,and nick the retaining ring in a few places,to spread it(only takes a couple thousands), The press it off, using oil. It should make a big 'POW".. dont get sceered! Use a new retaining ring,on assembely.

17. Brad S.

Brad S.

yupyup

Already put in the truck. Gonna take it to the machine shop in the morning.

Thanks all.

18. pickleweasel_00

pickleweasel_00

yep, i was thinking of the 8.8 :( sorry, still a newb to the site!

19. The Shocker

The Shocker

A slide hammer works the best,but i sometimes get them out by bolting the drum on the axle flange backwards and taping it easy with a mallet and i stress the word easy ...

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Like this one :) , IF you do not want to BUY one ( I did buy one ... over 25 years ago ) ... Now a lot of the national chain parts stores have a " Loaner Tool " program and a slide is almost always one of the tools on the program.