Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford 5 on 51/2 to 5 on 4 1/2 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaxx, Mar 21, 2009.

1. jaxx

jaxx

I have a 59 ford pick up straight axle in the RPU Im building and want to change the 5 on 5 1/2 to the small 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pat. for standard ford / dodge rims. - drum brakes - 15 inch - are there any conversion charts or does anyone know what car rotors will fit the pick up spindle , if any - I dont realy want to change to disk unless I have to so if any Ford guys out there can help me - Thanks - Jaxx

2. The best way to get the 4.5" bolt pattern in front is to get some '53-'56 spindles.
    They should interchange with the 57-60 axle, but not 100% sure about everything else.
    From there- most commonly available disc brake conversion kits use a V8 Volare rotor with '67-'69 Camaro/'68-'72 Nova Calipers.

In back, you can pull the axles out- (weld the access hole shut), and have them redrilled by a machine shop that does such work. There is a place here in PHX- Blake Machine- that will do it for $125.

3. lewislynn

lewislynn

? My 56 F100 is stock 5 on 5.5, not 4.5....

4. The 53-56 spindles accept 5x4.5" rotors, 57-60 don't.

5. dirttoo

dirttoo

how about '61 to '64?

6. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Buy a disc brake conversion I swapped my 51 F1 to the 4 1/2" pattern and put a car rear in it to match.
    Speedway had the conversions and you can choose ford truck ford car or chevy bolt pattern.

7. johnboy13

johnboy13

I read on the FTE site that you can pull the axles from the truck rear end and use two passenger's side (I think) axles from a car 9" rear. The pumpkin is offset on the car rear end so one axle is longer than the other. Whichever axle is longer is the one you use. Then you don't have to get anything machined. Like I said, I only read it, I can't confirm that this is true.

8. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

I bought a set of wheel adapters off ebay for $25.00.The off set of my rims made them hit the rear fenders,so i took the studs out of the adapters and drilled the axles/drums in a craftmans drill press.Threaded them 1/2 X 20 and used moroso screw in studs that gave me the 7/8" i needed to clear the fenders.On the front i did the same to the spindles/drums.
    The adapter makes it easy for the do it yourselfers ( I think i spent around $80.00 total for drill bit,tap,lug studs,loc-tight and lug nuts )

9. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

For the time and money to do this you might be able to just find a different set of wheels with the larger bolt pattern, just a thought.