Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 5.0l t56 to eairly SBC

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Twiztid Ben, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Twiztid Ben

Twiztid Ben

ok from what i am finding out is i have a pretty rare T56 id tag # 1386-012 comes back to a "Mustang 5.0 Aftermarket 10 spline input and 31 spline output. The trans came from a 92 foxbody, anyways im wanting to run it in my 65 chevelle and cant find any info on if its as simple as changing bell housings like t5s or do i need to change mid plate,bell and input shafts? Any info would help

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The overall length of that input shaft is 9-3/4", with a 31-tooth input gear.

When using a McLeod adapter to put a T56 on an SBC conventional bell housing, typically one uses a LS1 input shaft.

That input shaft is 10.62", and has a 31-tooth input gear, and still needs an extended pilot bushing.

Your existing shaft is too short. You would need to swap the input shaft, and mid-plate. From there, you can use the McLeod adapter, extended pilot bushing, and a stock GM bellhousing, with your stock clutch actuation components.

You will need a 26-spline clutch disc, in the proper diameter for your application.

loudbang and warhorseracing like this.
  3. Not that rare... Tremec sold more than a few of these as a bolt-in upgrade for the Fox-body Fords. I've got a brand new one sitting on a shelf.

You may want to check with QuickTime; they make adaptor bellhousings for the various T56s, they may have one for your application.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

5. indyjps

indyjps

Id think the ford guys would pay up for this and you could buy to buy an LS T56 instead. Either way, lets see what you do.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Twiztid Ben

Twiztid Ben