Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 5.0 coolant leak HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al Von, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Al Von

Al Von

After spending ALL DAY swapping out the leaky water pump and radiator on my daily, I fired it up this evening and now its leaking WORSE than before. I can see all the way around the perimeter of the water pump and its NOT leaking. Neither is the radiator. The leak seems to be coming from between the block and the front cover, on the passenger side of the front of the motor. Did I forget to put some gasket sealer on the long bolts that go all the way through from the accessory brackets to the block? AAAARRRGGGHHH! At any rate, I get to get up early and tear it apart to find the leak and fix it.
    THANK YOU in advance for any help!

2. Don't take this the wrong way, but...

Are you SURE you used the RIGHT water pump gasket? I only ask because when I put mine on (5.0 Mustang) we "assumed" it was right, but it had one "bump" it didn't need, in a wrong spot, and it leaked just as you described. We figured that's why the kit came with 4 DIFFERENT water pump gaskets, finally we found the right one.

Good luck!

Jay

3. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

How bad of a leak is it?

I know I'll probably take a hit for this, but have you tried the Bars Leak Pellets? Its a radiator additive that will stop most any leak, and the shit is awesome to use, and will last quite a long time depending upon the size of the leak. I know it isn't a permanent fix, but it will work to get you home.

As an example, we had an old '76 double cab Chevy wrecker that had a little leak - so little that it shot a pencil diameter sized leak from the radiator all the way to the windshield! We stuck these pellets in (4 to a pack, about the size of $3 worth of quarters) and about 10 minutes later the leak was gone. We left it just to see how good this stuff was, and it would last about 4 to 5 weeks and we'd repeat the process.

4. Al Von

Al Von

Sixgunner, now I'm really worried. The one gasket fit perfectly, and I used sealer around the ports and bolt holes.
    Thanks Goztrider, but I don't want to use any band-aids, I want to fix it!

5. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

Mine did this, it was leaking from the timing cover. The same bolts hold the water pump and timing cover to the block, so when you remove the water pump, you free the gasket/seal between the timing cover and block, you see where this is going...:rolleyes:
    I had to pull the crank pulley, balancer, fuel pump etc etc just to get the damn timing cover off, put a new gasket with a fair amount of RTV and it still leaked a little.

6. I agree with Curtis..

Those timing covers rot out and changing a water pump is enough to break the seal. Tightening it back down wont fix it. That fragile amount of material is now gone, so get ready to pull the timing cover.
    A new gasket and lots of sealer will take care of it.

7. Al Von

Al Von

All right, I see where this is going...I guess I'll pull it all off again. 'Might as well' change the timing chain & gears while I'm in there. I probably didn't help matters when I tapped the pump with a hammer to break it free!
    Thanks for the help!

8. CMenard

CMenard

Also check to make sure the water pump has the proper cover plate on the back. They usually come with two. One works and well the other....

I did the same thing a while ago. Thought I had the right cover on the pump. As soon as I put water in it the water hit the floor.

Curtis

9. 45Shooter

45Shooter

Timing cover gasket, coolant passes through the cover, it probably blew the gasket out on the drivers side about 2 or 3 inches above the fuel pump.
    I just did my daily driver also, and like you, I figured may as well put a chain and gears in while I'm there.
    I hate working on a daily driver, always feel that is time I could work on my projects.

10. upzndownz

upzndownz

ford timing chain covers rot out often and they're readily available very cheap// also dont forget to clean the bolts real good and apply a quality thread sealant too

11. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I've had issues with the water pump also. They can be a bitch to install. It turned out, I used the wrong gaskets, after 3 tries, no more leak.

12. Al Von

Al Von

Thanks for all the helpful replies and advice. The car is an '89 Grand Marquis wagon and the leak is on the passenger side about where the coolant passes through to the pump. As it is injected, there is no fuel pump, just the mounting boss. I got a new steel chain and gears and the gasket kit. Fortunately I've done this job before, on a Mustang, so I'm prepared but not looking forward to another entire day. It is no mystery to me why I can't get my shoebox done!

I have to get it drivable before the 'Pileup. I got a warrant signed by about 20 people [at the Rumble] stating 'don't show up at the 'Pileup in a modern car'.....lol