Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 49-64 Trans:T-85, behind a 324 Olds info Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fedcospeed, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Hey, Got a nice deal with some other parts on a rebuilt T-85. i was thinking about putting it behind a Olds 324. I would like to ask for any info on adapters,clutch and flywheel setups etc. Has any one done this???Thanks in advance! Jim F

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Do you know what the transmission to bell housing bolt pattern is? Stated another way, do you know the original application of the T-85?

Ray

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe the T-85 has the same bolt pattern as a '49-'64 Ford transmission. I am building a "T" tub with a flathead and a '50 Ford overdrive transmission. I also have an Olds rocket ('49 303) I may want to use, so I bought an adapter that mates the Olds to the '50 Ford. Since I wanted the option of going to a stronger transmission, I did a little research and found that the adapter I have will also work with a T-85. I've mocked mine up,. and it looks like you need an Olds flywheel, a pilot bearing adapter (I got one from Wilcap) and then use a pressure plate compatible with the Olds and a disc for the Ford.

Granted, I haven't done it, but I have spent enough money and time that I did all I could to make sure I wasn't wasting either. From here, it looks like the biggest problem will be finding a T-85 if I decide to go that way.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Denny,

You are confirming what I suspect is the case with the OP's transmission. And, you are doing exactly what I would have recommended, That being the case. :D

Ray

tubman likes this.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Ray; but now I'm not so sure I should have sold that 11" clutch disc I got from you!

6. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

The guy that had the parts I bought informs me the pattern is the same from 49-I think to 62,so an Olds to Ford adapter would work,like mentioned by Tubman above. Re drill the flywheel for Ford pressure plate and disc?? I do have a Scheider alum. flywheel. Does not know what the tranny was originally in. Long body with the curved side cover. I may actually learn something new today...love it! Thanks

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just so's ya' know, I believe that early Ford 4 speeds have the same bolt pattern.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The pattern is the same from '49 thru '64. I am not certain the flywheel needs to be redrilled for a Ford pressure plate, but if so, that is not a big deal for a machine shop. The pressure plate release arms need to be compatible with the throw out bearing and fork. The disc is even less difficult, just use a Ford spline disc of the same diameter as the pressure plate you use.

Ray

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Fedcospeed" requested some pictures of the Olds to Ford/T-85 Bellhousing. Thinking there may be others out there with an interest in them, I decided to post them here. Pictured along with the bellhousing is the pilot bearing adapter from Wilcap. I have also included a picture of my "Rocket" and a closeup of the starter housing. Sometimes these are missing when you buy an engine and they are tough to find. I have a couple of guys interested in this heavy chunk of iron should I find an aluminum "Switchover" housing. I have included a side shot of the adapter showing the opening for the clutch release arm. It should be noted that this adapter is designed to use the 8BA type arm. Also you should know that the $300 figure was already on the adapter when I got it; I figure it is what the last guy paid.
    IMG_0907.JPG

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.
  10. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Well so far Cragar made one #304 and so did Offy.It can be done,just have to find the stuff. One sold on here two months ago..shitski!!

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There is a place in the Eastern US, call Belmont Rod and Custom Shop, Dedham, MA., that has advertised all manner of older equipment in Hemmings Motor News. They offer adapters, manifolds, etc. Might try them and see if they can help.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ray, I have gotten some stuff I needed from Belmont's over the years (early hemi flywheel, etc.) I tried to find his site a couple of months ago and it was gone. There was a "Belmont's Rod & Custom" site, but it was nothing like the old one. It appears he has shut down his speed shop.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

OOPS! :( sorry......

Ray

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If anyone out there knows any different, let me know. It's kinda hard to tell what's going on in Massachusetts in Minnesota! It's a real lose as far as I'm concerned.

15. BigJim394

BigJim394

Belmonts Rod & Custom is still in business.
    Call Billy at &81-326-3270 or 781-326-9599

16. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Cool Beans!!! Thanks everyone for the help!

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made a slight mistake about Belmont's; I don't think he ever had a website per se. Now that I think about it, I found the stuff I bought from him on eBay. I've searched eBay and can't find anything at all. Maybe he's just temporarily out of stuff or has quit using the 'Bay.

18. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Just talked to Billy, good sense of humor!! He didnt go anywhere and has no desire to. Just doesnt do as much on the computer and would rather do things over the phone.(781-326-3270)

He did inform me that an adapter for what I am trying to do is common and made by everyone, just have to be on the alert when one comes up for sale. I am looking forward to making this happen. Fedco

Hnstray likes this.