Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford 460 Vintage Speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KustomKreeps, Apr 7, 2018.

1. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Helping a mate figure out what to do for a carb setup.
    Got a few questions about carbs and intake adapters and who better to ask than you fellas.

Engine is a Ford 460. Stock but will be worked up a bit down the track.
    Intake is an Eldebrock Performer 460. Currently has a Holley 750 on it.

Looking at changing it up a bit.
    Swapping off the Holley Quad and using an adapter to to run three double barrel carbs.
    A quick search of vintage speed shows they sell a setup:.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now it can come all assembled with Roch carbs(four holes), lines etc what I kinda like the idea of. Or drilled to suit Stormberg 97s, Holley 94s or ECGs (three holes).

Was looking to have about 750cfm to feed the 460BB.

Questions:
    Has any one used this www.vintagespeed.com setup before on a BB Ford?
    Any Distributor clearance issues?
    what cfm are roch double barrel carbs?
    Recommendations of carbs to sit on this setup?(and if they are the three or four bolt)

had looked at Stormberg Big 97s that are 250cfm per.
    http://www.stromberg-97.com/carburetion/big97.asp

Any feed back on those or any other recommendations?

Oh and here is the truck it will be sitting in.
    [​IMG]

2. About 225 cfm for the smaller base.

3. You'll take a fairly big performance hit with that set-up....

The only 'vintage' appearing multi-carb intake for these I'm aware of is the Blue Thunder 2-4V piece, but they're hard to get and expensive. Most guys running two fours on one of these would use a tunnel ram, but it's not very vintage looking.

4. Well, that would be a 'looks only' setup and really, too old/different era looking for that engine IMHO.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

If you want to slow it sown at the track that will a great setup. Big Ford's respond to a lot of air and you are trying to make it breathe through a straw. Find an old Hilborn stack injection unit and convert it to EFI. It can done and hide the wiring to look old. Otherwise a Blue Thunder would be your only choice with a couple of 750 AFB's . Since the motor was not released until 67 it is hard to find nostalgic parts for it. Tunnel ram's are plentiful.

6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Blue Thunder USED to be the only choice, but Speedmaster makes a dual quad/blower intake for CJ ports but can be used on non-CJ's as well. There's a LOT going on in the 385 world but with it not being a "traditional" engine you won't see much of it here.
    [​IMG]

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I used an old Offy Port O Sonic single four Bbl. intake on mine. It had been cut shorter to clear the hood in a Mustang. I made a spacer plate that also allowed me to use an 1150 Dominator on it. Had a Crower flat tappet cam. That thing made mucho power. $1100 engine and it went 197 mph in my Vega at Bonneville. Ran the Dominator straight out of the box. No changes. Bolt it on and run it. If I had not decided I knew more that anybody about oiling systems that thing would have gone 210 easy. Unfortunately, I blew it. If I wanted three twos. I would cut and weld to get it. The bolt on adapters look dumb and are.

Atwater Mike and Unkl Ian like this.
  8. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

To me, "vintage" will simply look wrong on a 460. Just can't see swapping out a 4 bbl that is a little small already for the hassles of 3 small carbs and really choke the engine and have more tuning issues. Doesn't make good sense to me at all. Screams "POSER!" to me.
    Sorry, wouldn't do it,
    SPark

X38, Unkl Ian and RichFox like this.
  9. Do you want to go slower ?
    Or faster ?

10. It looks cool.

If he wants to be different and some eye candy then sure.

But as has been stated big fords like to breathe!

You could just put a nice looking air cleaner on it and be done for $200 bucks or so.

Are there any reviews about these intakes and carb set ups?

The 460 is a monster mill in stock trim, had one in a 69 lincolin and for the size of that car and with an auto tranny it flew down the road with very little effort.

11. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

My big block chevy runs better and faster the single four barrel Holley EVER did. The small base rochesters are closer to 275 cfm each. Just make certain you actually set up the progressive linkage properly. I nrver could get a Holley power valve to stay shut with the solid lifter cam I'm running. Always fouled plugs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

If you really want a multi carb rig, and I don’t recommend it just because I personally have enough trouble getting one to work right, just invest in the right intake for your engine and carburetors. Running dual quads would look just as vintage without compromising the airflow into the engine.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  13. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

hey guys

thanks for getting back.

Orgional plan was a blower. But the manifolds height was the issue.
    In NZ we have some tight certification laws. one being vision through the windshield. the whole setup manifold to scope was so high it would effect the visibility and would not get certed.
    Hilborn could look cool. :eek:

14. Cross ram EFI.

15. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ