Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 429 QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scooter, Nov 15, 2004.

1. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

IS ther an aftermarket kit to convert the pan and sump from a front to a rear sump ? if so where ? Or do i have any other options ? Or would i even need to do this swap at all going into a 59 ranch wagon ...THANKS

2. squirrel

squirrel

vans and trucks used a rear sump setup as original equipment. The pump stays up front, and might interfere with something, or maybe not...you'll have to measure and see for yourself (or maybe someone who's done the swap will know). The C6 trannys for these engines are rather tall in the bellhousing area and may interfere with the tunnel in the floor.

3. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

the more lookin i do into this swap the more i may opt to go the way of a 302/c-4 .Thanks squirrel... just thought i could grab this 429 - c/6 combo for the swap . though initial cost is cheap it may not work out that way .Any other thought ? Anybody done a similar swap ? THANKS [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

The van/pickup oil pans may work for you...later model (80s/90s) Ford trucks with 460 (7.5L) engines will be your target pan for this OEM route. Make sure you get an oil pump pickup tube to match the van/truck pan.

There are also a few aftermarket choices. Pans made to facilitate a 429/460 engine swap into a Fox chassis car will likely suit your needs...check with L&L, Ford Motorsport, Racer Walsh, and others for prices/availability of these types of pans.

As mentioned, the bellhousing on a 429/460 engine is pretty tall...but if you locate a sorta obscure bellhousing used in the 70s to mate C4 trannys to 351-400M engines, you can actually run the small and efficient C4 behind a 429.

(Might not live very long in a heavy car...but it can be done!).

Overall, the 302 swap might be cheaper in the end...but with a little legwork and creativity, you can make the big block work out!

5. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rear-sump pans were also available in 70's trucks and vans: I pulled one out of a '75 van. Want a shorter water pump and balancer with integrated pulley? Try a 68/69 Tbird.

The C4 will hold up fine behind the 429/460 if you build it right. For LOTS of C4 build-up info, check out the C4 forum here:
    www.fordmuscle.com

Like Fat Hack said, the bellhousing came in some mid-70s Thunderbirds with the 351M. There on ebay from time to time. I had to give $150 for mine, which was a little steep. Or, you can buy a blow-proof piece from JW (Ultrabell) for around $300.

Attached Files:

6. squirrel

squirrel

most 351m-400s in cars used the FMX tranny, didn't they? The FMX has an iron main case, and the C4 is all aluminum.

7. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Tbirds, Torino and Montego wagons with a 351M used a C5 trans, which bell housing intechanges with a C4. You may need a spacer on the starter, available at NAPA Ran a C5 in a F100 one time with a BBF, no problems

8. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I have had 2 '79 T-Birds, one with a 302, and one with a 351W, and 4 1977-1979 Cougars: One had a 351W, 2 had 302's, and my current one has a 351M. All but one of them had FMX transmissions. The only one that didn't, was the '77 Cougar with a 302. It was a plain-Jane stripper model. It had a C-4. The rest were loaded and had FMX's. Even my 1979 Heritage Thunderbird with a 302 has an FMX. I think towards the end of the run, Ford was sticking FMX's behind everything that was a Windsor-based motor. NEVER had a C-5. I thought those we a 1980-1982 thing.

In my experience, if you got a small block and a C-6, you had a 77-79 Ranchero holding it all in.

9. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Scooter you definately DON'T need a rear sump pan for this swap. In fact this 429/C6 is an excellent combo for that `59. I had a `59 Country Sedan with a factory 352, it had a front sump pan. The C6 behind the 429 should pose no great problems in the tunnel area. About the only area of concern I would have is the left ext manifold to steering box clearence, but I'm pretty sure it clears just fine. I would go for it.

10. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

Thanks all ! And henry thats good new s if i do not need to swap out the sump and have the clearence's it is do-Able!I think a roasting of donor tires is in order . I am thinking of using the 69's motor mounts atleast try them first .the 429 should get the 59 landyaht movin [​IMG]

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    In my experience, if you got a small block and a C-6, you had a 77-79 Ranchero holding it all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seen C6s behind 351C in mid-sized performance cars (Mustang, Torino, etc). Didn't think they popped up behind SBF again until early '80s trucks, but ya never know - crazy stuff out there! Wouldn't doubt the Ranchero connection!! SBF C6 cases used to be worth a pretty penny because of their rarity, now no big deal...

[​IMG]