Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 429/460 Rocker Studs/Roller rockers...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Knoxville, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Knoxville

Knoxville

I bought a set of 1.7 lift roller rockers for the 1971 429 I'm building for my '55 Fairlane.
    I got the guideplates (5/16" pushrods), but i need larger studs, they're already screw-in type studs. Pretty sure I need 7/16" on the rocker end.
    I've been told by the local engine/machine shop that I need a certain length stud, and to measure for it.....but everywhere else i've called and looked up online, only one size is available...the rockers i got are a fully adjustable Harland Sharpe set.
    Anyone got any info for me? or dealt with this before?

2. 33roadster

33roadster
    from Norway

Hi
    If you do a search on SummitRacing, you'll find different lengths.
    Vidar

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I ran 7/16 studs and roller rockers for a BBC on my 460. They came from Isky. I had the '69 heads that came drilled for threaded studs from the factory. Worked OK for me. Went 197.919 with a single 4 bbl on an Offy port-O-sonic on the salt

4. Phil1934

Phil1934

I put Crane BBC rockers and conversion studs on my Mercruiser. Had the other half set laid out as someone was interested. They measure 13/16" on 5/16" end and 1-7/16" on 7/16" end.

5. I'm assuming that you have the early heads.

As a general rule, std. BBC studs will work. Try ARP 100-7101 for hydraulic cams, or the stronger ARP 200-7201 for solid lifter cams. Ford recommends that the stud bosses be milled down when using adjustable rockers, studs, & guideplates; it's not always necessary to do this with certain rockers, but other brands require it. The 1.73 true BBF Harland Sharps are good rockers, but they seem to be one of the brands that generally will need the bosses milled. Some HS combinations work OK without it. Mock everything up carefully before final assembly to look for issues. ;)

If you are using 1.70 BBC Harland Sharps, or any 1.7 BBC rocker, you are more likely to run into geometry issues than if you use a 1.73 rocker specifically designed for the BBF...though they may work just fine, as Rich points out.

6. rallisracing

rallisracing

We used Boss 302/351 studs and roller rockers. Then used Crane 3/8 pushrods for a 429SCJ engine. Others make the pushrods too.If your heads have screw in studs, no machining is needed. ... Also, 427 Tall deck Chevrolet 3/8 intake pushrods(16) will work if you need .080 longer to get the geometry right. They are chromoly, and less expensive than the aftermarket...