Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 390 starter and flywheel question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TooManyFords, Jun 23, 2013.

1. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I searched and did not come up with answer I need.
    I just pulled the 1964 352 out of my 64 Galaxie. It has a cruiseomatic transmission. I am planing on a c6 swap but not now. The long nose starter was a PITA pulling the engine and dont want to put it back in. I have a late model flywheel and will buy a new type starter if my idea works. Will the later model flywheel fit in the COM bell housing. The torque converter bolts line up. The fly wheel is sitting on the converter now but with no engine bolted in it is hitting on the bottom has room on the top. I am installing a 390 now and C6 later. Can I use it or am I stuck with this big starter till I swap in the C6?. I would like to drop this engine in tonight. I have shorty headers and not sure if that was clearence issue or not. Thanks....

2. The long shaft 64 and earlier starter is used with a smaller diameter flexplate with less teeth. So I doubt that the later starter is compatible with the early flexplate. Also, keep in mind that when you do the C6 swap, that you will need to use a block plate that gets installed between the engine and flexplate/flywheel. Your early transmissions bellhousing has a machined pocket which locates the starter, while the 1966 and newer C6 (as well as any later big or small block Ford, automatic or standard) relies on the starter hole in the plate to locate the starter. I am not familiar with a 65 Ford FE application, but since 65 used the later model starter, but with a Cruiseamatic, MAYBE a 65 flex plate and the later starter would work, IF you could find one.

3. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Used a 66 or newer flywheel and starter with the cruse o matic trans . Fit like a glove and works great.